Looking for bedroom closet make over

+3
Have medium sized walk in closet with one level wire rack installed around interior of closet for hanging items.

• Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Dec 28, 2017
    How about lowering that rack and installing one higher in the closet. Then you can have two rows to hang your clothes

• Ken Ken on Dec 28, 2017
    I had a closet design company come in for a quote and the most enlightening thing I learned is that there is no standard closet. What you have already may be perfect for you. We cannot know. Anyone who tells you what it should be is giving advice based on what they own and store in their closet.

I'm a fan of Closet Maid and they have gotten a lot of my money over the years. My best caution is that you will spend more money than you thought. Be ready for that. Take a look at how their systems work, typically hanging everything from a horizontal bar that you attach to the wall 7' up.

Decide what needs to be in your closet, and how you want to store each type of garment and how many of that garment you have. Sometimes double rows of rods are good, like for hanging shirts, not so much for dresses or if you use pants hangers that hold them by the cuffs. Do you want to put drawers in your closet or shelves? Those are available to fit the system.

I've bought the kits based on wall length. Don't know if I actually saved anything but I always have left-over pieces I don't use and have to go to the store for other pieces. Their idea of the best configuration for a closet never quite fits what I have to store in the closet. Make sense?

• Deb Deb on Dec 28, 2017
    Hi,

Here in the Florida the wire racks seem to deteriorate and get sticky, so we removed them.

In their place, we purchased Billy bookshelves from IKEA; these units come in 15" and 31" widths, and two depths, and we bought enough of them to fit about half of the available wall space. All of the bookcases are bolted to the walls.

We bought them in white, and picked up some spare (matching) wood pieces from their scratch and dent section. (At our previous house we used birch colored shelves - they both look great.)

The bookshelves provide us with low-cost shelving that hold bins and folded clothes. We store our luggage on the top of the shelf units.

I don't have many dresses, so we left just one small section with a rod for those. Otherwise, we doubled most of our hanging rods to hold shirts on the top and pants on the bottom.

At the floor underneath the hanging rods we have standard Closetmaid or similar shelf units that hold three rows of shoes (one on the floor, one on the single shelf, and one at the top).

On top of each hanging rod my husband placed a wooden shelf (using brackets), leaving enough room to easily put hangers on the rods. The shelf at the top holds bins of winter clothes (rarely needed in Florida!), while the shelf in the middle holds a single layer of shoes.

Be sure to measure how high to place these rods to ensure adequate space to hang your clothes and also include the shelf in the middle and the unit at the bottom, if desired.

You could repurpose existing shelf units or spare dressers/night stands to the same effect.

While it's not as fancy has those expensive built-in closets, it works for us and at a much lower cost.

• Christmas Christmas on Dec 29, 2017
    I had the same issue so I took the long 6 drawer dresser out of the guest room & slid it agains the wall & put baskets on top. My husband didn’t like the idea at first until I asked him to trust me & he loved it.

• Single Girl's DIY Single Girl's DIY on Dec 29, 2017
    I also bought a few pieces from Ikea, and added drawers to my closet. I bought shelves for things like sweaters and jeans, and a set of drawers for undergarments and t-shirts. Then I added another rod on one side, for two rows of hanging. It turned out great!