Any ideas for how to use cedar boards cut from old cedar trees?

+3

I have some cedar boards that were cut from cedar trees that fell during a storm on my grandmothers property and would love a quick to make something to hold on to that wood. Any ideas would be welcome! I can do small wood projects that are not complicated.

• Thelma Thelma on Aug 03, 2018

Hi Rhonda, How about building a coffee table or matching end tables. The wood would be beautiful & tough, and the items would be a real keepsake as well as used every day!

• Jessica Anne Haley Jessica Anne Haley on Aug 03, 2018

Cedar is so great for storing things. The first thing that comes to mind is creating a keepsake box for anything sentimental you may have. Especially papers or clothing. The size of your boards along with the dimensions you need for the items would all play in to how well this would work. You could also make a showdow box to use to display items in your home. I love the look of natural wood so shelves, end table, coffee table are also options that would be nice. I cleaned up some old cypress boards recently using a pressure washer and it was simple and came out beautiful. I would think the same would be true for cedar. Just don’t use the highest power nozzle. Start with the least powerful and work from there so as not to damage the wood! Sounds like a great project whatever way you decide to go with it! Good luck and post your work for us to see!

• V Smith V Smith on Aug 03, 2018

A bench would be easy to construct and you can showcase the cedar on the top. Also adding pegs to a board and hanging it as a coat/hat rack. Arrange some boards as a background for a mirror or message board. You can use a wood burning tool and add the information about where the wood was harvested.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Aug 03, 2018

Hi Rhonda,

My son-in-law made a live edge shelf with wood from their property. It's beautiful in their living room! He also used left over scraps to make frames for a family picture to give as gifts so we have some of it too. :) Here's a pic of a live edge shelf.

• Lei27542725 Lei27542725 on Aug 04, 2018

What about lining the inside of an existing closet to make a heavenly linen closet?

• Jan7815878 Jan7815878 on Aug 05, 2018

We used to try to have a “hope chest” for our daughters so they would have home items when they left home. Crocheted doillies,sets of dishes, eating utensils,etc. it would be nice to have cedar to line the chest with. I am working on another chest now that had been “updated” twice. I am having to strip it down to the bare roots. Fun project!