I’m new to woodcrafting; what advice do you have regarding sanding?

• Ken Ken on Dec 26, 2017
    If you are hand sanding, always start coarse to sand out imperfections (60 or 80 grit) and finish with fine grits, like 220 or higher. Sand with the grain of the wood.

Buy an oscillating sander that uses a 5" disc and don't buy a cheap one. I'm on my second Dewalt (fixed the first one and gave it to my daughter) and it is the most used piece of equipment in my shop.

• Lin Lin on Dec 27, 2017
    I love a sander that you can bring your piece of wood to. I use it more than my oscillating one. It sits on a table and you bring the object to it. I use it for smoothing small pieces and for intricate pieces. It is so much easier to manage the amount of wood that is sanded once you practice a bit.

• M. M.. M. M.. on Dec 27, 2017
    Work from the coarser grits to the finer ones. Use a cloth to remove fine dust between sandings, or a pressurized air blower (if you have compression tools. Canned aerosol air is expensive in bulk use and can spit moisture onto your work surface). You'll have to learn how each wood, oak,pine, etc., reacts to different pressures, when to sand with or against the grain, etc. These things have to be learned by your hands and eyes, but learning how to hand-sand will give you an appreciation for power sanders later.