Is it better to buy a vanity already made or have one made to fit in?

• Zard Pocleeb Zard Pocleeb on Jul 14, 2018
    Buying a ready-made vanity will be cheaper, but having one custom made allows you to get exactly what you want, including size, features, etc. Also, pre-made vanities are normally cheaply made. For example, the vanities are normally made out of 1/2” particle board with cheap plastic triangles to reinforce the corners. The vanities I build are made of 3/4” hardwood plywood with stretchers holding the carcase together. My face frames are all hardwood. However, my custom vanities are mostly over $1000, unless It’s a really smalol one.

• Gk Gk on Jul 14, 2018
    If you have a standard size space to place your vanity you can buy a ready made vanity. I just bought one today. Some are very cheaply made and others are decent. You get what you pay for. And my other thought was that I could buy one of the nicer ready made vanities and it would still last a good number of years before I replaced it. The vanity I have now is 30 years old--repainted once--not an overly expensive vanity--but still in decent shape considering it survived 3 children and 2 adults sharing the bathroom! Obviously the better made vanities are more money BUT probably less than a custom made vanity. A custom vanity would be very good quality and not even comparable to a ready made vanity you buy at a big box store but you will pay quite a bit and that doesn't include the cost of the top and the faucets. Check around for all your options in person so you can see what you might consider for your needs.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jul 15, 2018
    Hello Marion,

It would depend on your budget, time skill, tool inventory, the quality of a custom build will be far superior than an off-the-shelf product. There are multiple diy sites and plans out there if you or you know someone handy with tools.