How can I remove rust from a drill, saw, and jigsaw?

+7
these tools belonged to my dad. He died in 1989 and I still miss him! Unfortunately I let these tools sit in my garage and rust. They're sentimental and I want to be able to use them. Please help!
  • Marlene Burrows Marlene Burrows on Jun 20, 2017
    Take 00 steel wool to remove the rust. Spray with WD40 to seal the metal.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 20, 2017
    Try rubbing WD 40 on them

• Barbara Baldwin Barbara Baldwin on Jun 20, 2017
    Rub it with steel wool, with or without oil. When finished, rub the metal with 3 in 1 oil,and wood handle with peanut oil.

• you can try cleaning with straight white vinegar, then steel wool and oil them when they are clean

• Pallet Man Pallet Man on Jun 20, 2017
    If any of the parts are removable, scrub them with steel wool then soak them in vinegar. Then coat them with WD-40 or a light oil. Scrubbing with or soaking in diesel fuel and steel wool can also work to leave an aged appearance.
    A piece of fine wet or dry sandpaper with a WD-40 like thin oil can work on a large flat surface like a hand saw. Be careful to stay away from the saw teeth. If they are rusted, a saw sharpening shop can possibly regrind them $$

• Kym Kym on Jun 20, 2017
    Evapo-Rust. :) It's safe, no toxins, and doesn't pit or eat into the bits. It's amazing stuff, and all you need to do is pour some into a container, set your rusty bits into the bucket and leave them. Most items are clean after an hour or so, but it's safe enough to clear deep rust and it can take overnight. You can reuse it quite a bit before it's spent. (1 Gallon can clean 600lbs metal) No effort and amazing results. Have seen it used on car parts that looked like they came off the shelf after they were soaked. Wipe them down then protect them with WD-40.

• Cherie Cherie on Jun 20, 2017
    There's a product made just for this called Bull Frog Rust remover.

• Susan Susan on Jun 20, 2017
    the remedies here are good.
    THEN...after you get them cleaned, try storing the blades, screwdrivers, etc. in a pail / bucket that has sand (course is good) that has motor oil mixed in it - I keep my shovels, hay forks etc. clean and ready to use that way, especially after overwintering them in a garage / shed.

• Susan Susan on Jun 20, 2017
    just the metal parts! forgot to say that - bury screwdrivers up to hilt etc. - blades only so deep that you can SEE them and pull out later - the coarse sand also helps sharpen then as you pull out etc.

• Marcia Yarbrough Marcia Yarbrough on Jun 20, 2017
    Thanks so much!! I was in tears because I thought they were ruined.