Asked on Jun 17, 2017

Grass and socks- I can't get the actual grass cuttings out of sock!

+9
Help - I have tried everything! I can't get the actual grass cuttings out of my sons socks!
  • Gra22510779 Gra22510779 on Jun 17, 2017
    For whites, I've had good success with this...Hints from Heloise many years ago..use a plastic bucket add 1 gallon very hot water and 1/2 cup electric dishwasher compound and 1/4 cup bleach stir till dissolved add clothes and soak 30 minutes..do not stir.
    wash as usual. Grandma

• Susan Susan on Jun 17, 2017
    you mean actual GRASS clippings, right? not grass stains...
    so my only suggestion is STOP letting him into the grass with socks on - toss the ones he's ruined or possibly throw them in dryer alone - on HOT so the grass dries and falls off... GOOD LUCK with either

• Lora Lora on Jun 17, 2017
    That is weird that the actual clippings would stay! I agree with Susan. A hot dryer should do it.

• Susan Susan on Jun 17, 2017
    you mean clippings?? not just stains??
    keep him out of it! HA
    if it's just one pair of socks - toss em. OR...
    you could try putting them in the DRYER on HOT - alone - no other clothes...and the grass should dry up and you'll find it in your filter.

• Teresa J. M. Lavender Teresa J. M. Lavender on Jun 17, 2017
    He does lawncare - yes, it is the clippings. I have tried everything! I shake them out while they are still dirty/dry, I soak them in Dawn and heavy duty cleaner with boiling water, I run them through the dryer alone - on high heat. Still they are covered with bits of grass. It is too expensive to just keep buying new socks.

• Gra22510779 Gra22510779 on Jun 18, 2017
    It has always worked for me for almost 50 years. It's especially for white cotton. Sometimes if your items are really stained you may need to repeat the process.
    Heloise was the greatest!

Grandma

• Terri W Miller Terri W Miller on Jul 05, 2018
    Grass clippings on dark nylon socks how to remove

• Cindy Cindy on Sep 22, 2018

Have him wear thinner socks. They come out a little easier than thicker socks. Then after washing and drying use a fabric lint fuzz pill remover. Those battery powered ones. I’ve been doing that on my hubby’s socks and it’s been working great.

• Belinda Belinda on May 18, 2022

Use tape it works.