Towels are now stiff and rough - help!

+9
  • Dfm Dfm on Mar 26, 2018
    did you add a fabric softener? Or softener sheet in the dryer.? Stiff towels generally have been line dried, you can soak a wash cloth in water, throw it in the dryer with the towels And softener sheet. Give it a 15 min. Spin. Check them. getting softer?

Occasionaly you may need to get the softener residue out of the towels. Add vinager..a good cup full to the wash. No soap or detergent. Wash,dry.

• Anne Anne on Mar 27, 2018
      I've always just added frabic softener, not dryer sheets. I will try your way.
      Thanks,
      Anne

• William Thompson William Thompson on Mar 26, 2018
    I use two Purex tabs with my stiff and rough towels in the washer. It really cleans and softens them. They are also at least 5 years old.

• Anne Anne on Mar 27, 2018
      Hi William,
      They don't sell Purex where I live. I just may have to drive to the U.S. to purchase them ( we don't live far from the border).
      Cheers,
      Anne

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 26, 2018
    wash them in hot water and only add a cup of vinegar, when the load is done wash it again in hot water but add a cup of baking soda and finish the load! Dry as you always do! They should be soft!

• Anne Anne on Mar 27, 2018
      Hi Sharon,
      Your idea is worth trying. Everyone is mentioning vinegar, yup going to try .
      Thank you and Cheers
      Anne

• Han11807599 Han11807599 on Mar 26, 2018
    Just read earlier on line to use a cup of white vinegar & half a cup of baking soda in the wash cycle. Wouldn't hurt to add a quarter cup of the vinegar to the rinse cycle either.

• See 1 previous
    • Anne Anne on Mar 27, 2018
      Thank you Hank for going on line to resolve my issue. ( my iPad was just repaired today)
      Cheers
      Anne

• Cindy Cindy on Mar 26, 2018
    When we lived in our old house, our towels always came out rough. We moved into our current house three years ago. I expected the laundry to come out rough since we only moved a few blocks away from old house and used same soap/softner. To my surprise the towels came back to soft after laundering them a couple times. The difference? New house has a water softner. It has made all the difference in the world. Even showering and shampooing is better.

• Lina Splichal Lina Splichal on Mar 26, 2018
    Throw them in the dryer with a couple tennis balls.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Mar 26, 2018
    Do you remember an episode of Frasier on which Natalie “flooffed” Dr. Crane’s undies? My husband and I did, and started fluffing her undies. They didn’t last any longer, but they were much softer. I try to fluff our towels before putting them in the dryer, and again after taking them out, before folding. I usually use fabric softener on white towels; often not on dark towels. The fluffing makes more difference than the fabric softener. Best wishes ☺️