How do I clean burlap runners?

+2

I have some burlap and lace table runners used in weddings. They have become stained with food. How do I clean them without tearing them up?

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 14, 2019

Hi Robin: I'd wash them in the sink (or tub if they are really big) using warm water and Dawn dishwashing soap. Let them soak for about 10 minutes, rub the stains with a toothbrush, and swish lightly in the water. Then, rinse, changing the water a couple of times, or until it stays clear, and you may be able to wrap them up in a towel to get most of the water out and then dry in the dryer on a very cool setting. Or, you can hang them over the shower curtain rod to drip dry. Put a towel on the rod first, then the runners. Iron on a warm setting if necessary. Good luck

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Nov 14, 2019
    Maybe try using spray upholstery cleaner and blot.

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Nov 14, 2019

Hi Robin. Hope this helps you get your table runners clean. Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Spot clean using cold water and a mild detergent (if needed) Do not twist, wring, or tumble dry - instead, gently squeeze out the water.

...

Burlap Care Instructions

1. Machine wash cool using only a mild detergent (if needed).
    2. Tumble dry on low setting.
    3. Remove promptly. ...
    4. Never expose to heat above 140°F.

Burlap Care and Laundering Instructions - How to Clean Burlap

https://theburlapshop.com › Burlap-Care-Instructions

• Linda Linda on Nov 15, 2019

This is a great post on washing and drying burlap.

https://www.onsuttonplace.com/how-to-wash-dry-and-cut-burlap/

• Keri Vincent Skousen Keri Vincent Skousen on Jan 30, 2021

I gently washed the spots with a old toothbrush and a little spot cleaner. Then I rinsed the whole thing in a large laundry sink with lukewarm water. My problem now is that the whole thing smells like some kind of solvent. I'm guessing it's some kind of finish they spray over the burlap. I don't want to put that back in my dining area. It's very unpleasant. Any suggestions?