How to get black grease out of carpet?

+2
My roommate is a diesel mechanic, and has left a path from the front door to his room with black grease. Carpet has been cleaned, but regular cleaner didn't get all the grease. Any suggestions?

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 08, 2017
    Helen you could try dish soap that works specifically against grease and some hot water and lots of scrubbing. And make your room mate take off his shoes at the door from now on!

• Wanda Wanda on Dec 08, 2017
    WD 40. Spray it on a cloth and blot. It is flamable so ventilate with windows open. I would make him do it and take his shoes off at the door. It would be a valuable lesson learned. Make a mess, clean it up. Way less expensive than making him pay for new carpet

• Dona Dona on Dec 08, 2017
    I would try the magic eraser on the grease spots followed by cleaning again.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 08, 2017
    1. Blot up as much of the grease stain as possible; you’ll then want to apply a substance like cornmeal, since it acts as an absorbent.
    2. Take a brush with stiff bristles and brush the stain to break it up.
    3. If the grease is still visible, apply a dry-cleaning solvent (Afta Cleaning Fluid is a good one to try) using a clean sponge.
    4. Apply a dry spotter to the stained area. A dry spotter is made by combining 8 parts liquid dry-cleaning solvent and 1-part coconut oil. Mineral oil, though not as effective, can also be substituted for coconut oil.
    5. Using an absorbent pad, cover the stain with more dry spotter.
    As the pad continues to pick up the stain, you’ll see that this answers the question of how to remove grease stains from carpet.

• Helen Glosson Williams Helen Glosson Williams on Dec 08, 2017
    Thanks for suggestions. Will try a couple of these. Roommate has moved on, also changed jobs. My kids usually take their shoes off, guess roomie wanted to get to his space first, but that was my thought, too.