How can I keep my wood floors from smudges, even after cleaning?

+4

How can I clean my wood floors? They have a satin finish, and show smudges from feet, even sockfeet! I vacuum regularly and our socks are clean. I hope we didn't make a mistake with the satin finish instead of a high gloss finish.

• Rynn Rynn on Feb 05, 2019

Have you tried vinegar and water to mop them? Our wood floors are not high-gloss ( may be satin) and this works for them.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 05, 2019

It may be your cleaner. Try one of these 2 recipes:

1 cup hydrogen peroxide

2 gallons warm water

OR

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1 tsp Blue Dawn

2 gallons warm water

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Feb 05, 2019

Hello, The ”renew” products and the Bona floor cleaner system will give a shine, but there’s nothing like refinishing your HW floors.

Refinishing your floors revitalizes them makes them look like new. We did ours in 2015 and married them up to a new HW install.

The past two years we have been using the BONA mop and solution and we’re very pleased with the HW cleeaning and shine results.

https://us.bona.com/products/hardwood-floor-mop.html

• Lizbeth Lizbeth on Feb 06, 2019

That sounds very odd. Are the floors new or newly refinished?

• See 1 previous
    • Lizbeth Lizbeth on Feb 06, 2019

Since the floor is new, I'd check with the company that made the flooring if it came pre-finished or with the company that finished if it didn't come pre-finished. Over the years I've had wood floors that were finished with both satin and glossy finishes and I've never had a noticeable smudging problem especially from people walking on the floor in socks. The only time I can recall *any* smudging was many years ago from a waxing that wasn't applied properly and therefore couldn't be buffed properly. Stripping and reapplication did the trick. (That was back when waxing of wood floors was commonly done.) While smudges can be more noticeable with certain lighting conditions, and some of us might be less likely to notice them depending on our personal tolerance and our room layouts/angle if lighting, it sure sounds like to me there is a problem with the finish coat and NOT because it's satin and not glossy. Good luck!