How do I clean grout after using clorox?

  2 answers
  • Em Em on Feb 01, 2019

    First use vinegar instead of clorox. According to conventional wisdom, bleach kills mold growth. However, bleach just kills the mold on the surface without affecting the membrane underneath. You need to kill and remove this underlying membrane to effectively remove the mold growth. Bleach cleaners cannot kill this membrane because its chemical structure prevents it from penetrating porous surfaces. Therefore, the mold membranes can move deeper into the affected surface to hide from the bleach.

    Another problem with using bleach is that it can actually multiply the mold growth. Mold can use bleach as a food source once it has been exposed which will cause the mold to grow back faster. Even the EPA advises against using bleach for removing mold. Fortunately, there is another household item that can kill mold.


    Use a tooth brush with any dish detergent and vinegar mixed in a cup.

    • See 1 previous
    • William William on Feb 01, 2019

      Sorry!

      Since mold decomposes dead organic (once living) material it can grow on wood, the paper facing on gypsum board (drywall) and other materials made from wood. Molds secrete digestive fluids that decompose the substrate, making nutrients available. Mold can also digest some synthetic materials such as adhesives, pastes and paints. While mold cannot get nutrients from inorganic material such as concrete, glass and metal, it can grow on the dirt present on these surfaces. It can spread on the surface of grout but not penetrate it. Bleach or bleach products are used to clean mold. Look a store shelves. Vinegar or acetic acid is used to kill mold. That's why mold will always come back when cleaning with bleach. Bleach is effective in cleaning porous surfaces. Bleach is a common ingredient in cleaning black pet stains off hardwood floors that penetrated the surface. As a woodworker I have used bleach to lighten wood. Of.course no acidic products should not be used on granite or marble. Including Windex. Windex and some other window cleaners can strip the surface of granite dulling it.

  • William William on Feb 01, 2019

    Membrane???? Bleach cleans mold. Vinegar kills mold spores. Mold does not feed on bleach.



    https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=clean%20grout

    • Em Em on Feb 01, 2019

      I beg to differ.

      Membrane meaning the root. Because of its non-toxic nature, it’s safer to use vinegar on almost all home cleaning needs, including eradicating mold. Bleach is ineffective in cleaning porous surfaces such as concrete, wood, drywall and unsealed tile. Though bleach will kill mold on the surface, the roots within the material will remain and enable the mold to return. Vinegar, on the other hand, can be used on these materials if quickly removed, though it should not be used to on stone tile such as marble or granite because it can eat away at the surface and cause discoloration.

      If vinegar isn’t strong enough, bleach can be used as long as it’s heavily diluted and the room is well-ventilated. In addition, don’t use bleach together with other cleaners because this can result in toxic fumes.