How can you clean a stained mattress

+4
  • You can use a citrus detergent being careful not to get the mattress too wet. For urine or blood stains, use a little hydrogen peroxide first. If the stains are not coming out, try a paste of water and baking soda and scrub gently with a soft brush.

• Ber30525093 Ber30525093 on Dec 09, 2017
    I steamed a mattress that had all sorts of stains on and came up nice

• Pjo26908388 Pjo26908388 on Dec 09, 2017
    A hand attachment to a rug shampooer does the trick quite nicely. Liquid type laundry soap and water work well to clean a mattress when the stains are large.

Icky stains can be pretreated with Resolve or Shout (laundry stain remover) then loosened up with a gentle toothbrush.

Be sure to suck out the water as much as possible and blot well with towels. Repeat if the stains don't come out completely. You can do an additional rinse with just water.

Spot cleaning with this method works great. The problem arises when the mattress is left too wet.

• Jodi Murray Hendon Jodi Murray Hendon on Dec 09, 2017
    When my son threw up a chocolate milkshake on his bed, even though I cleaned and cleaned, the stain was still there. I used a stain remover wipe (Shout Wipe & Go) and the stain was gone. I've used these wipes on upholstered furniture and I carry them with me in case of a spill at a restaurant.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 09, 2017
    For urine or other biological stains use a Pet stain remover that treats the bacteria.. let sit several hours... then you can use baking soda and peroxide or baking soda and vinegar to lift the color part of the stain. I have also had good success with a hand held steam cleaner...
    After your mattress is clean and completely dry... invest in a good quality water proof mattress cover (different than a mattress pad) there are some out there that are not made of plastic or rubber but protect the mattress from wet stuff (CompanyStore.com has a good one) The Mattress cover is worth the cost, because it will protect your expensive mattress... I got ones for my pillows too.... do more drool stains.

• Karen Tokarse Karen Tokarse on Dec 09, 2017
    Use Hydrogen Peroxide