I am redoing an old dresser and can't get rid of the musty smell

+7
I've washed it down with Murphys Oil Soap but it still has a faint smell. What else can I do?
  • Carol Oswald Carol Oswald on Feb 29, 2016
    Odo-ban from Sam's? I have not tried it, but it makes other things smell good and gets rid of pet odors...

• CKimball CKimball on Feb 29, 2016
    Bleach and a day in the sun.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 29, 2016
    Spray it down with white vinegar. Let dry an put a box of baking soda inside.

• Katie Katie on Feb 29, 2016
    I have had the same problem, the baking soda worked for me, although it did take a couple of boxes and some time

• Melissa Miles Melissa Miles on Feb 29, 2016
    I hI had several closets that smelled musty when we moved in. I put a bowl of baking soda with lemongrass oil in them and let it sit. Cleared out the odors. Worth a try.

• Beverlycook Beverlycook on Feb 29, 2016
    I would use a clear sealer on the whole drawer inside. It worked for me.

• Sha3898107 Sha3898107 on Feb 29, 2016
    Apple cider vinger wipe it down of put some on a tag and let it stay inside

• Con3711289 Con3711289 on Feb 29, 2016
    I don't know what area of the country you're in, but if you're experiencing some sunny, dry weather, take advantage of it!. It will do wonders for your dresser. After you've given it the baking soda treatment advised above, take out all the drawers and set everything outside to air out and dry out and benefit from the disinfecting properties of sunlight. Do this several days in a row for as many hours as you can, bringing the dresser inside each night. Naturally, if there's any threat of rain, snow, or frost, or if humidity is very high, keep it inside til things clear up. When odors are gone, do as beverlycook suggests and use a clear sealer. Good luck!

• Susan Susan on Feb 29, 2016
    Newspaper and activate charcoal work well in musty suitcases. Might work on a dresser. Just loosely crumple up the newspaper and lightly stuff the drawers. Tuck a small dish of the activated charcoal in the drawer too. Close the drawers and wait. You might have to change the paper and the charcoal for wood. I don't have to for a suitcase.

• Anna Anna on Apr 30, 2016
    There are lots of tips on the internet about this, one tip being let the drawers sit outside as another commenter described.