What is the best product to clean old furniture before painting?

+3
  • Hi Ashley! I use diluted TSP (aka trisodium phosphate) to clean old furniture. It's a degreaser so it helps remove old furniture polish and grime. You can find it in the same aisle near paint thinners and paint strippers.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 06, 2019

TSP is great. I have also used denatured alcohol with great success.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Feb 06, 2019

Dawn dish soap with a little vinegar in hot water to remove dirt,grease,grime

• I like vinegar and water if the piece isn't too gross. If it's gross, I use Simple Green. Always make sure that you wash it again with plain water to remove any residue. Soap residue will keep paint from sticking properly.

• Ashley Ashley on Feb 07, 2019

Thank you everyone!

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jul 26, 2019

You don’t say if you mean wood or material wood I would use Murphy’s oil soap if it’s realy bad add 1/4 cup ammonia to a gallon bucket with the soap to clean the furniture if material I would use woolite and jently scrub or have someone come and do it so they guarantee it