How do I de-smell pipes?

+5
The sink in my bathroom is giving off a terrible smell. I suspect it may be the pipes. How do I clean the pipes to see if that helps?

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 24, 2017
    a dab of Drano comes to mind or the diy drain cleaner using baking soda and vinegar. i'll let you google that one.

• Jan218632 Jan218632 on Dec 24, 2017
    Baking soda and vinegar, washed down with hot hot water. Repeat if you need to.

• Both great suggestions! Exactly what I would have suggested. I keep a box of baking soda in each fridge and freezer compartment. Every month I replace with fresh boxes and pour the old boxes in the kitchen and bathroom drains and in the toilets for a bit of extra cleaning and freshening.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 24, 2017
    For that job, I would put at least a half cup baking soda, followed by at least a cup of vinegar. Let that foam and fizz for at least ten to fifteen minutes until it stops. Follow this with a gallon of boiling water to rinse it all down the pipes. I would first before doing this get one of those thin plastic strips with barbs that is made for removing hair and get all the hair out that you can. This allows the gunk to stick to it and the pipes and possible start growing. Once the hair is out do the baking soda/vinegar/boiling water. This will clean all the gunk and anything that has started growing in the pipes. The vinegar will all but sterilize a good length of the pipe due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties. The smell should go away unless the problem is further down or the sink isn't used much and it is sewer gas coming up from the pipes being dry. Good luck, this should do it for you!

• See 1 previous
    • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 25, 2017
      At least once a week if not more frequently run water through the drain. If you keep water in the elbow it keeps the sewer gas smell trapped below the elbow. Give it a try and see if it works. Once you know how long it takes for the elbow to dry out you can schedule putting water in it better. When I was little, my mom always put water in the drain in the basement floor every couple of weeks after she smelled it in the basement. It took us a while to find where it was coming from.

• Soa29669538 Soa29669538 on Dec 24, 2017
    I've used a liquid gel type drain cleaner to get rid of built up gunk.

• Mrl32075069 Mrl32075069 on Dec 24, 2017
    I pour some baking soda in drains and add some cider vinegar! Once a month