I want a solution to keep my kitchen sink drain clear.

+2
  • Never pour fat or grease down the drain, save a few tin cans for easy disposal. I take the baking soda boxes from the fridges and freezers and pour them down the kitchen, bathroom and shower drains and in the toilets, followed by a splash of vinegar once a month.

• Grace Merrells Grace Merrells on Dec 11, 2017
    you haven’t mentioned what is happening to your sink drain. Is it getting clogged with bits from the dishwashing water? There are two things that help with that. Firstly stop anyone putting dishes into the sink water that still has scraps on. Secondly fit a strainer to your sink drain. Neither of these are expensive. If you still have problems try bicarbonate soda and vinegar or denture cleaning tablets. I presume you washing your dishes in really hot soapy water?

• Judy Judy on Dec 11, 2017
    I would use ice cubes daily, or every other day, in the garbage disposal, and then add some liquid dish soap. This smell will be fresh, and you know that your drain will NOT be plugged up. If you have alot of problems with it plugging up, then you can use ice cubes twice a day. Do not allow carrots or lettuce, to go down the drain, at all. You may also want to get a separate strainer to go over the drain, just to be sure NOTHING else, will go down the drain, that you are not aware of. This will help you alot. Best wishes, or you can always do this morn and nite, just to be extra safe. J.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 11, 2017
    Years ago when I used to can a LOT, I never had drain plugging issues. I always thought it was because I was pouring the close to boiling water down the drain. When I stopped canning so much, I noticed that occasionally my drains would get slow. Immediately I started pouring a large pot of close to boiling water down my drain regularly - daily for a while then 2-3 x a week. No more clogged drains. Sometimes I just turn the hot water on as hot as it will go, fill up the sink, add a little detergent, then quickly pull the plug and let it all go through. Yes, your hand will feel it. Try some gloves. It works for me. Wishing you the best!

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 11, 2017
    Unless your sink is partially clogged up somewhere further down the line, use baking soda (use at least 1/4 to 1/2 cup), follow with about a cup of straight vinegar. Let it fizz until it stops, some times I put down another little bit to see if the soda is all used. Follow it with about a gallon of boiling water. This will also keep your pipes really clean (vinegar is a fantastic antibacterial and antifungal agent. You can do it to the disposal side too to keep it clean. I hope this helps. You can do this as frequently as you want to, it won't cause harm to PVC or metal pipes since it gets rinsed down so well. If this doesn't help and the clog is back right away, your problem may be further down the pipes and it will need to be snaked.