Vintage wooden rolling pin

Marcia Cantrell
by Marcia Cantrell
I.have an old wood rolling pin that originally belonged to my great grandmother. It was given to me by my mother. It has a sticky feeling and I would like to clean that off and be able to use it. I have seen an answer to this some time ago either here or Pinterest. Should have saved it! lol
  • Adrianne C Adrianne C on Mar 28, 2014
    Murphy's oil soap.
  • Have you tried to use dish soap in the sink? I prefer Dawn but others will work and use your kitchen sponge to scrub. I have 2 vintage rolling pins I actually use and that is all I do to clean them. Dry off or let dry in the strainer before putting away. do not let sit in water! plus you could try rubbing alcohol which removes many things and I use it quite a bit. Then wash in soapy water and dry. Good luck
    • Marcia Cantrell Marcia Cantrell on Mar 28, 2014
      @The Garden Frog with C Renee I will be trying this along with 3 other answers. Thank you!
  • Susan Derderian Susan Derderian on Mar 28, 2014
    Try a salt & baking soda dry scrub - should loosen up the stickiness from previous use - you can also condition afterward with a few drops of mineral oil - good luck!
  • Caroline Arcand-Wright Caroline Arcand-Wright on Mar 28, 2014
    I have used steel wool - very gently with dish soap. Then I used salt and olive oil to clean afterwords ... I let that sit .... then later when I wanted to use it, I used dish soap to clean it. I have two really solid antique rolling pins (wooden) and a lovely glass rolling pin wherein I can either use hot water or ice - as I please. Good luck ...
      @Caroline Arcand-Wright Thanks Caroline, I appreciate your answer. I have 4 tips to try now and I am sure one will do the trick.
  • Muriel Muriel on Mar 29, 2014
    I like to put just a bit of olive oil on mine every so often. I also keep it in a cloth bag in the cupboard so it doesn't get marked up. Since it was my Grandmother's too, I can't replace it - only the memories.
  • Jane R. Jane R. on Mar 29, 2014
    Try spreading a thin layer of solid shortening on it and let it sit overnight. Then wash in hot soapy water and let air dry. I use this method to remove sticky goo from labels on jars. It takes it all off. Before washing rub with paper towels. I reuse the jars for disposal of used cooking oil. I never put any grease in my dish water. Since I live alone I rarely use my dishwasher.