What to do with stained wood doors? Foyer dark, doors have small glass

+6
I have two doors for my entry/foyer they are wood doors and the doors are stained with a very dark stain. Foyer very dark, because the doors only have small glass windows at top. Help! All of this home has dark wood, and I mean dark wood. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Karen Reed Karen Reed on Jun 26, 2017
    Post a picture...it will help

• Cin21825342 Cin21825342 on Jun 26, 2017
    I would clean them well with TSP and wipe them with a deglosser. Then prime and paint a lighter color.

• Kim Kim on Jun 26, 2017
    You can paint your doors white, or you can paint your walls white so that the door stands out.
    Because it's your entryway, if you are not real good at painting, I would hire it out, making sure the contractor has very good references and a license.
    :)

• Mary Mary on Jun 26, 2017
    If you're very ambitious, you could strip the finish from your doors to see what's underneath, otherwise, you could sand them and then paint white or off-white to brighten up your foyer. You'd be amazed what just light paint will do!

• Brenda Brenda on Jun 26, 2017
    You could try stripping and sanding them down to the original wood then stain a lighter colour. If they have a lot of moulding it might be a lot of work. Otherwise, sand and paint a light color.

• Johnchip Johnchip on Jun 26, 2017
    Take them down. Paint your dark wood and trims light.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 26, 2017
    Re-stain the doors and if the paint in the foyer is a darker color paint the walls.For the dark wood floor use a light area rug

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Jun 26, 2017
    can you paint them a lighter colour? if you like the dark though can you brighten the space with better lighting?

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jun 26, 2017
    Clean it, prime it and paint it a much lighter color . You'll be so glad you did !