How do I get a musty mildew smell out of my car?

+4

My Vehicle was being serviced and the window was down. Now it smells musty like mildew. How do I get rid out that awful smell?

• Cindy Cindy on Feb 03, 2019

Hi Sarah. I'm Cindy. Put charcoal on a paper plate and put it in the car. It may take several days to get rid of the smell. After smell has dissipated somewhat, spray some Febreze and you won't even know it smelled at all. Good luck Sarah.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Feb 03, 2019

If you buy anything with those little packets in them like comes in pain pills, vitamins, herbs, etc. they are GREAT to save and use in small areas with mold or musty smell. Put a number of them in the car and it should help immensely. Also, we use Simple Green to get rid of such musty or mildewy odors. It is non toxic but disinfects and deodorizes at the same time. It does not cover the smell, it eliminates it and it is easy to use. Hope this helps Sarah.

• Sarah trial Sarah trial on Feb 03, 2019

Thanks so much I have already tried the charcoal it did not help but thanks

More suggestions???

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Feb 03, 2019

Unless you have a dead critter in your car, this is the solution:

Find our where your ventilation system intake ducts are on the outside or under the hood. Take some time to be sure.

Buy some mold killer spray, my favorite is discontinued, so I use ZEP. Buy long vinyl gloves.

This must be done outside or with the garage door completely open:

Turn on the car, with the ventilation system on both A/C and heat, full blast fan. No recirculating mode.

Windows down, doors ajar.

Spray a lot of the mold killer into the air intake vents under the hood. Have a rag to wipe up the drips. It will bleach your clothes, so be careful.

Let it run 5 minutes. Let it keep running and spray a citrus cleaner in there next. Run another 7-10 minutes.

With the car still running, Windows Open, back it out into the driveway, IF THE FUMES ARENT GAGGING YOU. Let it run.

Wipe up the drips on the floor. Throw away the rag.

Let the car dry off outside, windows down, unless it’s sub zero. Then put it back in the garage and leave the hood open & the windows down.

If the ZEP smell is horrible the next morning, time for more citrus cleaner & doing this all over again.

Keep those answers coming please

• For a buck, these work really well from the Dollar Tree if you have one nearby : https://www.dollartree.com/the-home-store-moisture-eliminators-98oz/144947