How to remove oil spill covered with dirt on fake grass?

Quila Robinson
by Quila Robinson
+2
What can I use to remove the grease and dirt from the fake grass on my patio?

• Gale O'Neal Gale O'Neal on Jun 24, 2017
    Mineral spirits or a grease spot remover like perchlorethylene (dry cleaning solution) of the type sold by most variety stores and supermarkets. In general, cleansers in this category should handle most oil-based stains. This group of cleaners, where agent must be applied sparingly and care taken to avoid penetration beneath the turf.

• Suzette Suzette on Jun 24, 2017
    Hi Quila, Here's a link that may be helpful! https://www.installitdirect.com/blog/artificial-grass-maintenance/

Depending on the type of oil spilled, I found kitty litter is good at absorbing!

Good luck!

• Is the fake grass removable? If so, take it out and shake off what you can. Do you have a shop vac? If so, use that. For the oil spill I would purchase the old fashioned cheap clay cat litter to soak up excess oil, then sweep up and dispose. Have a hose? You can hose the area clean. For the oily spots, use Dawn dishsoap to wash the area, ler dry in sun thoroughly to avoid mold issues.

• Lyn15291588 Lyn15291588 on Jun 24, 2017
    Vacuum up the dirt. Put baking soda down to absorb the oil. Leave for a few hours. Vacuum up the baking soda repeat as necessary. Once the bulk of the oil is removed you can rub the baking soda down into the nap to remove the deeper oil If you chose to use a mineral spirit type product test in a small area first. Sometimes the chemicals in the fake grass will interact with the agents in the spirits can cause damage and fumes.

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 24, 2017
    Yep, good advice! Btw, our vaccum works really well outdoors...was afraid of that, but it's great. Good luck!