Any help to identify what these three things are?

+69
Hello - As a first-time homeowner, I am trying to better understand my home. I have encountered a few items I have not been able to identify. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
q any help to identify what these three things are
  • Carmen Sharma Carmen Sharma on Jan 03, 2018
    It looks like an exhaust fan for the bathroom (smell and humidity).

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jan 03, 2018
    Perhaps smoke detector/fire alarm...old style..just a guess

3...a door stopper to keep a doorknob from hitting the was????..2..clueless onless it pops out to reveal a wall connection for a whole house vacuum...when you find out..let us know!!

• See 2 previous
    • GrammaLee GrammaLee on Jan 06, 2018
      Fire sprinkler

• Dounia2 Dounia2 on Jan 03, 2018
    Object number two looks like a disk used to prevent or cover a hole in the wall.
    object number three looks like a door stop to prevent a door knob from making a whole in the wall.

• Kym Kym on Jan 03, 2018
    #1 looks like it might have been part of an intercom system at one point, or maybe part of the thermostat system for the heater. Are #2 and #3 on the wall or...?

• Seth Seth on Jan 03, 2018
    Congratulations on buying your first home! Use it as an excuse to buy tools and start investigating. Object #1 looks like it could be an old doorbell assembly. Use an electrical tester to make sure nothing is live and don't be afraid to take the cover off. Object #2 looks like a cover plate possibly covering an old light fixture box or a junction box (which by most electrical codes are not supposed to be buried without access). Carefully remove the cover and test any wires for live current. Pic #3 is a complete mystery to me. Good luck!

• Noah Fierro Noah Fierro on Jan 03, 2018
    Thanks everyone for your input so far! Object #1 is on a wall in our living room. Objects #2 and #3 are on the ceiling in our kitchen. I suspected that object #2 was a ceiling light cap but to see two different styles near each other has really thrown me off.

• See 1 previous
    • Noah Fierro Noah Fierro on Jan 06, 2018
      Exactly! I feel the same way.

• B lanier B lanier on Jan 04, 2018
    Object 1 looks like a doorbell receiver.

• Dwe31439123 Dwe31439123 on Jan 04, 2018
    Object 1 is part of an older door bell box/chimer that always hung on a central wall so it could be heard better throughout the house. Good luck!

• Linda Linda on Jan 04, 2018
    Yes

• Linda Salem Linda Salem on Jan 04, 2018
    The box on the wall looks like a doorbell and all the others look like wall guards to protect the wall from getting banged up from the door banging into it.

• Mar31895609 Mar31895609 on Jan 04, 2018
    Number one is definitely your door bell
    I know cause I had one in my old apartment.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Jan 04, 2018
    1, Doorbell or dryer vent (don't know where it is located)
    2 and 3 - Wall protection bumpers

• Noah Fierro Noah Fierro on Jan 04, 2018
      Thank you. #2 and #3 are on my ceiling so that's what is throwing me off.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 04, 2018
    Number 1 looks like a doorbell. Numbers two and three look like covers to close openings that no longer in use (like a recessed light).

• Wanda sinnema Wanda sinnema on Jan 05, 2018
    #1 looks like a transformer for an old style doorbell. #2 is a covered up electrical box. These are used with wire caps on the end of the wires then covered with this.. a requirement with an outlet is covered up.. I would removed the screws and DOUBLE check to see if they used wire caps.. the wires may be "live" and a fire hazard if they did not. If it is in ceiling, it once had a light fixture there.. The cover is still used today, rather than remove the wires and box, then patch the sheet rock.. Not sure on #3. to the right is an older style "recessed lighting "

#1 may also be a vent for a bathroom, usually placed on the ceiling,, for some reason that may have not worked so they placed it here..

• K_a7863698 K_a7863698 on Jan 05, 2018
    #3 seems to have everyone stumpe.
    When you find out what it is...please do tell us! ☺️
    Now my curiosity is killing me. 😁

• Mhu28203242 Mhu28203242 on Jan 05, 2018
    I would agree that #1 is an old door bell and that #2 is what was a ceiling light electrical box that has been covered. My guess on #3 is that at on time there was an old swag light fixture that hung there. Please let us know what they are when you find out.

• Pai15717637 Pai15717637 on Jan 05, 2018
    Item 1: cover for doorbell chime. Item 2: cover for electrical junction box or where someone may have had a light fixture. Item 3: hole cover instead of properly fixing the plaster to match the ceiling or leaving the hook for the chain of the fixture. Check for electricity in items 1 & 2. If 1 has no electricity, remove cover, pull wires and patch. If it works, relocate or replace with smaller newer version. Item 2: if it is a junction box, and you aren’t an electrician call one and have them check to see if it was done correctly.

• Ro Ro on Jan 05, 2018
    2 is a cover for a electric box for a ceiling light or fan

• Cincymom Cincymom on Jan 05, 2018
    I think it's an old security system box. We have them too.

• Fauxreal Fauxreal on Jan 05, 2018
    I KNOW WHAT # ONE IS...
    This is an old outdoor air exhaust system through piping that a friend of mine had in his home many, many years ago. If you find a thingy it should turn and blow cool air in or it could be turned to off by the thingy and stop air from coming in.

• Patti Patti on Jan 05, 2018
    I believe everyone has answered your questions, however; I’m curious what object number four is?!?! I’m talking about the circle to the upper right of object three!

• Barbara Barbara on Jan 05, 2018
    I agree with the consensu, #1 is definitely old doorbell chime box. You can remove, cap off the wiring, cover with patch of drywall, speckle, paint. #2 is a cover for an electrical outlet for a light or ceiling fan. #3 is possibly a crude cover for maybe where they had a hole for a hook to hang a swag light, since so close to the electrical cover.

• See 1 previous
    • Renee Renee on Jan 05, 2018
      Odd indeed!! at first glance my thought was a doorbell receiver box BUT it’s in an odd place for that. They are usually in a central area like hallway, etc. so it can be heard throughout the house. Number 3 has me curious to the point I’d be in the attic just because I want to know. Explore, cease the moment! You’ll def look back on this one day & either shake your head or just laugh. There’ll be ALOT of ’remember whens’. Welcome to home ownership. It’s a process 😉.

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Jan 05, 2018
    I agree #1 appears to be a door bell,2 appears to be what they sometimes cover electrical power so that you can add or get to electricity and 3 is a doorknob protector against your wall. If you knew when your house was built then you could verify the door bell without removing it or maybe just ring the doorbell while someone stands on a ladder carefully listening. The electrical thing may have to stay. I've seen those on new homes and models so that the run electricity to that area on the ceiling and you add the light when you want and yhe other one I have no clue how to remove but yhen why unless you will replace with something else to keep door from making a hole in the wall. If you really want take pictures to your local superstore or an Ace Hardware store they will know for sure.

• LYNETTE LYNETTE on Jan 05, 2018
    It looks like a home security box.

• Noah Fierro Noah Fierro on Jan 05, 2018
    FYI - I spoke with one of my friends who is a painter. He said #3 are sprinklers that would pop out in an emergency.

• JD JD on Jan 05, 2018
    Hi -
    #1 - doorbell
    #2 - cover for hard wiring for a light fixture or ceiling fan
    #3 - not sure, but it could be part of an outdated sprinkler system.

• Lisa Carr Lisa Carr on Jan 05, 2018
    #1 is a doorbell - the part that rings/dings inside once the bell button at the front door has been pushed #2 is a cover to an electrical outlet, probably for a ceiling fan or lamp/chandelier and #3 ya got me - not sure - ask your realtor or check with the local fire department - they will probably know what it is. Or check for the building plans at your city permit office

• Lisa Lisa on Jan 06, 2018
    Doorbell chime is the first and the next two are on wall behind door to keep door knob from hurting wall

• Nan11800133 Nan11800133 on Jan 06, 2018
    # 2 looks like a cover over a hole that you would put a stove pipe in for a wood
    burning stove..

• Paula Paula on Jan 06, 2018
    a modem?

• Linda McNeely Linda McNeely on Jan 06, 2018
    I think we all agree that #1 is likely the receiver for the doorbell; # 2 is a junctionbox cover plate from an old pendant light fixture; and my best guess for #3 is that it may be a door knob protector which is being used to cover up a fairly larege (3/4inch ish) hole in the ceiling which used to be where the hook from which the pendant lamp actually hung. If you recall, they had a long chain that was “swagged” in sort of a wide U-shape so that your lamp could be over the table even if the junction box wasn’t in the perfect location. Good luck with your new home.

• Nin29453045 Nin29453045 on Jan 06, 2018
    Object 1 doorbell #2 cover plate sorry can't help with #3. Is #3 located in other areas of your home or just this one ?

• S S on Jan 06, 2018
    Doesn’t matter what they were! The imppets to question is how to cover, conceal, remove them and make your ceiling beautiful!

• Hec22693587 Hec22693587 on Jan 06, 2018
    #1 Door bell cover
    #2 door stop
    #3 door stop

• Caroline Ge Caroline Ge on Jan 06, 2018
    #2 is a plate that covers a electrical box for a ceiling light or fan. #3 looks like a fire alarm. It looks old so please replace it.

• Jimmie Jimmie on Jan 07, 2018
    im don’t know #’s 1&3, but #2 is is a door handle stop. So when the door is push open and hits the wall the handle will hit the plastic stop and no dents in wall.

• Aliciajane Aliciajane on Jan 07, 2018
    it its a old doorbell we had one

• Kevin Hill Kevin Hill on Jan 13, 2018
    #2 & #3 looks like where lights may have been at one point