How do I make these needle work state hangings?

+3

Can someone please tell me how I would do this? Imagine I can get shapes online but how to transfer to fabric? How do I do the thread work? Is there a set rhyme and reason or just free hand it? I want to do 4 states. I've done cross stitch and this looks easy enough. Not sure where to start.

q how do i make these needle work state hangings
  • Mona Blake Mona Blake on Jan 29, 2019

You need a solid copy of each state you want in the size you want. Pin it in place and then draw outside the state.

• Cheryl Cheryl on Jan 29, 2019

Hi- I would make the image the size needed, cut it out and trace around it onto the fabric. You could also use carbon transfer paper and just trace over the uncut design, onto the cloth. I'd use a chalk pencil on dark fabric so that nothing would bleed into the white stitching. The stitching looks like a mass of free handing it in many layers that add some depth. It is a very simple project with big bang results! And thanks for the idea!

• First, I have not embroidered in eons, my eyes are not what they used to be. This looks really easy though. Trace your state onto your fabric. Then just free hand it with easy stitches that look attractive. Then frame it. Where did you find this, I might be able to Google instructions for you. You could do the same technique with paint too. It's very pretty and a fantastic gift idea!

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 29, 2019

1/ In my experience, any outline (of the state) that is made on the fabric with a chalk pencil, fabric pencil, carbon paper, or similar, is NOT going to stay marked for the duration of the project. These markings are intended to be temporary only, and easily come off through repeated touching with fingers, or being brushed against.

2/ Secondly, I think that you could achieve a sharper outline than the one shown above, if you first stitched around the particular template or cardboard outline that you are using. This way you will always have a distinct narrow edge against which to place you needle when making the long outward stitches.

-Use a contrasting colour of embroidery thread to make the outline stitches.

-After the stitched outline is complete, next remove your template

- After you have finished making all the projecting lines, from the backside, using sharp small scissors, carefully cut out the outline stitches.

-For best results with the project use quality brand embroidery floss and needles, such as DMC or Anchor