Asked on Feb 12, 2013

How to attach glass to wood picture frame?

I am about as crafty and creative as a monkey without hands, but I can build you a picture frame in under half an hour. So I don't know how to attach glass to the frame. It's not large, just built out of pine 1x3s made for a 5x7 photo for my dad's birthday. Any advice is appreciated.
  9 answers
  • Jayme Jayme on Feb 12, 2013
    I am a custom framer and you don't really "attach" glass to a picture frame. You have a piece of glass that will sit in the "rabbit" of the frame. You then need some sort of back board (I use foamcore) cut to the same size as the glass....the picture goes between the glass and the backing board then it is held in with framers or glazier points. Framers points you need a special tool to install....glazier points you can push in with a screw driver. You shouldbe able to find the glazier points at a hardware/home improvement store.
    • Ama344224 Ama344224 on May 16, 2014
      Hi Jayme-since you are a custom framer I was wondering if you could help advise me in regards to this same subject matter. I have a canvas that is 18"x 36" that I need framed. I want the frame to look like a mirror but I know using mirror would be out of the question since it's heavy and wouldn't look like a frame due to it not being able to change shape. I know there are spray paints that help glass look like a mirror, would you recommend using a spray paint on wood to get the same effect?
  • I am not a "real" framer like you are. I fastened the boards together and don't have a means to make a rabbit, unless you have a way to do so with basic tools.
  • Jayme Jayme on Feb 12, 2013
    Oh June....I do have a way. You still need a back board of some kind... even a piece of corragated cardboard will work. You can then use a little bent piece of metal called an offset (pictured) to hold the glass and backing (picture between glass and backing) to the frame.....only takes a screwdriver to assemble. I am not sure how readily available the offsets are, as I had to order them from a framers supply company. But I have lots of them and would be more than happy to send you 4 of them with screws if you would cost to you, I will just send them to you.....let me know.
  • That is really, really kind of you. Ignorant here...what is the difference bt the offset and mirror clips? Other than the obvious metal vs. plastic.
  • Jayme Jayme on Feb 12, 2013
    Hmmmm... that is a good question, as I am not picturing a mirror clip for some reason. Ooh wait...I am picturing the mirror clip now. As long as it has the little "offset", I call it a step (a sophisticated framing term...LOL) along with a way to screw it down....then I think that it would work. If you have trouble finding some mirror clips, let me know, the offer still stands.
  • Thank you so much, Jayme! I will first check my hardware store to see if I can find what I need there. I'll let you know if I can't!
  • Gail Salminen Gail Salminen on Feb 13, 2013
    @June @ Coffee Under the Umbrella Mirror clips can be found at most home supply stores. Maybe with the tips from @Jayme I will try my hand at framing. Good question and great expertise shared. Thanks for posting. :)
  • Jane Jane on Jul 17, 2015
    Please do not use corragated cardboard behind your picture. The "ridges" will eventually create lines on the picture, plus the acid in the cardboard will cause discoloration. If possible, use acid-free board or foamcore behind your picture. Jane Coleman, Georgia
  • Deb4262546 Deb4262546 on May 16, 2016
    Have u thought about visiting Hobbt Lobby, Michaek's or JoAnn Fabrics. All have photo framing & mounting available. You could even call a store if you don't have one in your area. They should be happy to help you out.