I have a 4' x 8' mirror that was hung incorrectly over stairway.

+13
It's blurry and too heavy to move. Would like to somehow paint or cover it with something. I live in the mountains so something rustic in browns and/or greens. It fills the space nicely but looks ridiculous, like one of those fun house mirrors. Anybody have a suggestion?
q i have a 4 x 8 mirror that was hung incorrectly over stairway
You can see how distorted.
  • Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Dec 22, 2017
    How about using some glass etching cream and etching a design on the surface. That would make it more of a decorative element instead of an actual mirror?

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 22, 2017
    Sorry, but that's too grand!!  Great for parties...
    Anyway, so you want to paint it. You can paint it with acrylic or glass paints. You can buy both on-line or at a proper art store for the glass paints.
    You can also wallpaper it or buy a mural the size of the mirror and put on it. Good luck!

• Emily Emily on Dec 22, 2017
    yes, you can see the distortion. That is odd. One way would be to cover the entire mirror with a trellis section. You could paint it either brown or green and while some mirror would show through, the distortion would not be obvious. Maybe you could randomly place leaves on the mirror, leaves from where you are or fake ones. These are Boston ivy leaves used for decor. You could also build shelves to hang over the mirror. Use them to display attractive items that would be appropriate for your area and the mirror would amplify your decor.

• M. M.. M. M.. on Dec 22, 2017
    Paste on things that appeal to you,like old maps, theater programs, luggage stickers, sports themes, camping/travel/national parks brochures, birthday cards, etc. You can paste over the most wobbly sections and let some of the mirror peek through. A friend of mine had a large vanity mirror chipped around the edges. She pasted theater programs around the edges and it looks like it was that way forever! Use a white glue that would let remove images,or attach photos/images with removable double stick tape if you don't want to paste onto the mirror. Layering family photos, botanical illustrations,etc. will make it your own! If you like vintage images, check out The Graphics Fairy, most of the images are free and mot copyright...

• Barbara Barbara on Dec 23, 2017
    I would get a nice stencil and do a design on it to cover the mirror. Check out Pintwrest for lots if ideas.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 23, 2017
    I think that reflection is so cool. It looks like a Salvador Dali print! But yes, I can understand how you might want to change it. My concern with pasting something over the mirror is if the mirror is not completely flat the imperfections would show.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 23, 2017
    Order a wall mural in the same size (or close to it) and put it over the glass. It will be framed by the mirror frame.

• Shuganne Shuganne on Dec 24, 2017
    Gotta ask... How was it installed? I don't want to make the same mistake! I hope you didn't pay your amateur handiman/handywoman.

• Tova Pearl Tova Pearl on Dec 24, 2017
    I love the idea of frosting it in different patterns (either using etching creams with a stencil or using decals that look like frosted patterns) You could also give it an "antiquing" kind of treatment and hang branches or foliage over it.

• 62q10370829 62q10370829 on Dec 24, 2017
    if you don't want the mirrow brake it out of frame then take frame down & fix wall. Good luck.

• Tabitha Hopp Tabitha Hopp on Dec 27, 2017
      Yes before anyone gets negative as I've seen before you can do this safely by taping it first. I've seen videos on youtube

• Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Dec 25, 2017
    Being that this is over a steep stairwell, all these suggestions are assuming you can somehow get this super heavy mirror down...I personally would be terrified of using that staircase ...what if it loosens and comes crashing down the stairs? I would, if I did this, pay workmen to remove it and not put it back up at all, it is just too huge to place any where on a wall in your house...could be very dangerous....

Do a collage of pictures! Pinterest has a ton of ideas

• Jean A. Stone Jean A. Stone on Dec 27, 2017
    check the wall art stick on selection at Hobby Lobby

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 27, 2017
    painting over the mirror which is glass and breakable... would only disguise that it is a hazard. Some one may decide to move it, with out realizing what it really is.... get some help and take it down, if you don't want it there