Removing outside finish from porcelain mugs

+2
I have a couple of porcelain mugs (the kind that come in gift boxes) that the outside finish us scratching off. How do I finish the job and start over. Doesn't need to be dishwasher safe.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Jan 06, 2018
    Take several colors of Sharpie pens and scribble on the mugs. Then take nail polish remover and wipe the Sharpie marks off, leaving beautiful swirls that will cover the scratches.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jan 06, 2018
    Hi Betty,
    It looks like if it is glazed it will be difficult to remove, but you can try pure acetone (that's the ingredient in nail polish remover but plain acetone is stronger). You can usually buy it near nail polish remover or find a "beauty store". Nail professionals use it to soak off artificial nails. This same question was asked on thriftyfun.com . Click to see the answers other people suggested. Wishing you the best.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 06, 2018
    Thrift stores have so many good quality mugs for very little cost, Just go buy ones. The time invested in what you are wanting to do is not worth it.

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 06, 2018
    The coloring on porcelain mugs is not painted on with paint, it is a porcelain slip coat with minerals for color and fired on in a kiln. So removing will be next to impossible in my book. I would go to the Dollar Tree and buy a nice new mug.