Can I put grass cloth wallpaper over regular wallpaper?

do I have to take wallpaper off to put new wallpaper on

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Jan 29, 2019

If the old wallpaper is in great shape, with no bubbles or tears, yes, you can add new wallpaper over it.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 29, 2019

If it is in excellent condition you do not have to but I would strongly recommend that you do. It will be almost as much work to prep and seal the existing as it would be to remove. I've stripped the wallpaper from many rooms and here are the tips I have found most effective:

Steam can damage the dry wall underneath, especially if it wasn't sealed or painted which is rather common with new dry wall & wallpaper.

A scoring tool, like piper tiger, is very helpful to start the process but be careful not to apply too much pressure as it can cause dimples in the dry wall behind the paper.

Stripper for removing wallpaper is very effective but you can DIY with fabric softener & warm water. Put in either a spray bottle or a garden sprayer. I have seen many people use vinegar instead of fabric softener but cannot attest to how well it works.

Put a beach towel down to catch the run off once you spray the wallpaper with the solution. Wait 5 -10 minutes for it to do the job. Use a plastic scraper to remove wallpaper from drywall. Once all is removed, wipe with warm soapy water & a microfiber cloth.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 29, 2019

Please, remove the old wallpaper. When the glue fails under the old wallpaper, you'll have a larger problem.