How do I find this type of drywall?


I have a rental property, consists of 4 duplexes built identically. They used drywall that goes floor to ceiling and the long joints aren't finished with tape and mud per normal practices. They are simply glued to all studs, nailed at top and bottom where crown and baseboard covers the nails. Corners have decorative trim to cover up the seam.

The drywall doesnt have tapers in the 3 inches up to each long edge like standard sheets. Where do you buy this type of drywall and what is the industry specific name for these types of drywall?

q how do i find this type of drywall
  9 answers
  • Karen Fouse Karen Fouse on Aug 24, 2018

    DeFords will have it

  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Aug 24, 2018

    Take this picture to your nearest HD or Lowes for their professional advice. If you have a builder you can consult with that will help as well. Are you looking to change the look or make repairs? I think it looks nice. Best of luck.

  • Reo33875684 Reo33875684 on Aug 24, 2018

    I'll bet they cut the tapered ends leaving about 40"- 44" wide pieces. The window also appears to be only 24"-28" wide. The floor register can't be more than 12" wide. It appears to give it that "Paneled" look. I prefer mud on the walls. Flat paint can hide a lot of sins from compound flaws.

  • Martha Riche Martha Riche on Aug 25, 2018

    That looks a lot like the walls in manufactured homes, which is not standard drywall.

    • See 1 previous
    • Martha Riche Martha Riche on Aug 25, 2018

      Maybe check with someone at the factory to see if they can help!

  • Joel Florek Joel Florek on Aug 25, 2018

    Register vents are 18".

  • Billie Rohl Billie Rohl on Aug 25, 2018

    I think it was painted over, but definitely looks like the same wall material as my friend's pre-fab home.

  • Em Em on Aug 25, 2018

    Butt Joint

    • Defined: The edges of the two sheets of adjoining drywall have the same thickness as the rest of the drywall sheet.
    • Example: If the sheet is 1/2" thick, the edges are also 1/2" thick.
    • These edges are located on the 4' long ends of the drywall sheet.
    Tapered Joint
    • Defined: The edges of two sheets of adjoining drywall taper from the rest of the sheet's thickness to a reduced thickness.
    • Example: If the sheet is 1/2" thick, these reduced thickness edges will be about 1/4" thick.
    • These edges are located on the 8' long ends of the sheet.
    Which to Choose?

    Whenever you have the choice, choose the tapered joint.

    Tapered joints allow you to fill in the "valley" created by the tapers with drywall tape and drywall compound, thus creating a smooth, seam-free joint.

    Butt joints will always produce a ridge. With careful application of compound and sanding, butt joints can be made to disappear.

  • John Grimley John Grimley on Aug 25, 2018

    We have square edge and tapered edge plasterboard (referring to the edges on the long sides). Square edge is designed to butt up to the next sheet. These edges are taped over before the whole wall is skimmed.

    Tapered edges are also designed to butt up to the next sheet & also be taped over, however, the tapered edges form a valley which can be filled and sanded before the whole wall is painted, there is no need for skimming.

    If you were to tape a square edge, you would struggle to fully hide the tape before or after painting, it needs that thin layer of plaster to hide the tape.

  • Michelle Andre Fenn Michelle Andre Fenn on Aug 26, 2018

    Looks likt FRP Panels Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic. You can order it at most lumber yards. I use to use them in commercial projects. You see them in bathrooms also. Quick way to cover over lathe and plaster.