Update paneling. How can I paint or plaster over it?

Old raised pattern flowered paneling. Can't remove it. How can I paint or plaster over it?

  2 answers
  • Shuganne Shuganne on Jul 14, 2018
    Hi Loretta, you've got some work cut out for you but it's doable, for sure. If you just want a wall painted all one color, there's something called a segmented foam roller that will paint popcorn ceilings and stucco. It's also sold as a rough surface roller. It's available at any big box store. It would not cover the flowers to make a completely flat wall, but it might be enough to make you happier.

    Then I found this website with some Interesting ideas. It might be worth it to wander through:

    The only other option I found was to skim coat the wall with plaster compound. Don't let them intimidate you or tell you only a professional can achieve this. I didn't know a thing about drywall, skim coating or feathering in, and I did half the upstairs - after I built a wall to put drywall onto!

    A technique you might try is to put the drywall compound on and then pinch and plop in a little texture with a damp sponge. It would have less texture than the flowers and - best part! you don't have to do any sanding because you're not aiming for smooth. (It might be frowned in by the pros, but I used a damp sponge instead of most of the sanding. Looks fine!) Let us know what you decide to do and be sure to take a ton of pictures to share techniques and finished project. Thanks for asking!

  • Kellie Kellie on Jul 15, 2018
    You can buy heavy wall paper, it is very thick. Used for covering paneling. Apply as you would any other wall paper.