How to Cover popcorn ceiling?

Have a popcorn ceiling over plaster, don’t want to take the popcorn off as it may disturb the plaster. What is the easiest most economical way to lessen the look of the popcorn ceiling?

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 07, 2018
    https://www.hometalk.com/categories/remodeling-renovating/ceiling/popcorn-ceilings

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Jan 07, 2018
    The popcorn will scrape off easily - especially if it has not been painted. First test for asbestos before trying to remove it. Protect area with plastic, dampen popcorn with water using a squirt bottle or garden sprayer, wear eye and nose protection, scrape with a large (4" or larger) putty knife, and then clean up the mess. I did many ceilings in my 1978 house. However, just before moving I had a few rooms left to do. I called a painting company and they recommended a guy that did that work for them. He came out, scraped the ceilings, and put a nice texture on the ceiling. He did not make a mess, and the ceiling looked great. I put white primer on the ceiling, and decided that looked fine without re-painting the ceiling. His cost was reasonable and saved me a sore neck.

• Darlene. Darlene. on Jan 08, 2018
    I find the easiest way so you have no scraping or mess is to put strapping on your ceiling and install drywall. Tape and paint and done.