How do I cover a popcorn ceiling?

+1

We have this old popcorn/acoustic ceiling. It looks dingy an out dated. Is there anyway that we can easily cover it?

• Steve Steve on Feb 02, 2019

I bought one of those scrapers that you attach to a shop vac. Dampen the popcorn with warm water in a garden sprayer, wait a few minutes and go to town. It worked fairly well and contained most of the mess but it’s still messy.

Keep in mind that most people install popcorn ceilings in order to cover up problems. That was our situation so we ended up installing firring strips and new drywall.

Painting is also an option but that will make future removal even more difficult.

• Valleycat1 Valleycat1 on Feb 02, 2019

If the ceiling just needs a cosmetic update, popcorn finish is relatively easy to scrape off, then you prime and paint the new flat surface. If you are willing to do all the work yourself, basically the only costs are paint and painting equipment of your choice. Applying a new surface on top of an existing ceiling is more difficult and could potentially create a small space for pests or mold to move into. Not to mention that basement ceilings are usually pretty low tonstart with.

• Dawn Dawn on Feb 03, 2019

I scraped the popcorn off of my living room ceiling and after a lot of hard work and up and down the ladder, the remaining ceiling had a lot of imperfections even after a coat of paint. It made a huge mess and was a big hassle. So for the next ceiling, instead of scraping, I covered it with thin decorative styrofoam tiles that resemble tin tiles. I glued them to the popcorn and it looks so much better with less work than scraping the ceiling. I bought them at Amazon for $150.