How do I cover expansion gaps?

by Cee

i’ve Just put laminate floor down in my hallway and kitchen. What can I put down over the expansion gap instead of quarter round? It’s a 26’ long hallway that has no internal windows and was really dark. Now looks amazing! Thanks for any suggestions!

Old dark wood and carpet and the same magnolia paint that was put on in the 80’s.

So beautiful, bright and shiny!

Painted all

of the old dark

wood doors and trim

to brighten the place up!

Had to fIll and sand cracks on walls before painting. Didn’t want to pull the baseboards off because it’s an old house and didn’t want to damage walls.

After lifting old carpet! Had to level


  5 answers
  • Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Dec 17, 2018

    What's the issue with 1/4 round? Do you already have the baseboard down?

    • Cee Cee on Dec 18, 2018

      i was looking for something a bit more decorative. I live in rural Ireland and it’s a bit of a challenge. Here it’s called quadrant. They do have another trim called scotia but for 21cm x 21cm x 2.4 meters it’s €12.59. So quite expensive.

  • William William on Dec 17, 2018

    Baseboard does not to be removed for future reference. Quarter round is the only solution to cover the gap. Make sure to nail it into the baseboard and not the floor.

  • Linda Linda on Dec 17, 2018

    There are different shoe mouldings, rather than quarter round. They can add some design or look similar to quarter round and can be a little narrower.

    • Cee Cee on Dec 18, 2018

      Yes, that’s what I’m looking for. Thanks.

  • Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Dec 18, 2018

    It looks wonderful! It looked in the first picture, your baseboard were removed

    Thought if that was the case you could find something thicker. You could always cut down another baseboard shorter and use that. Unfamiliar with what is available in Ireland. Good luck to you.

  • Janet Coryell Smither Janet Coryell Smither on Dec 18, 2018

    I had a friend who didn't want the quarter round. He put down a narrow strip of trim that was 1" by 1/4" thick or so. Looks really different and very nice. About the width of plaster lath, but about an inch high. Covers the gap well enough--depending on the width of the gap, you could use any sort of a board/trim that would be thick enough. Screen moulding would work if it's thick enough. Not sure if you have it there. Flat stock would work if it were small enough.

    • Cee Cee on Dec 18, 2018

      That sounds like a great idea! I’m going to see what they have at the local hardware shop. Thanks!