New wood floor question

+2
Pulled up carpet. Subfloor is good. Should I run the flooring with or opposite the floor joists or does it matter?

• Elaine Elaine on Dec 06, 2017
    A relative of mine owns a flooring and carpeting company ... you install the planks running parallel to the longest wall in a room. For example if your living room is wider than it is longer, run them the same way as the width. Terrible grammar, I know, but I don’t know how else to describe it. You want nice long, uninterrupted lengths of hardwood, not cut up/shortened planks.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 06, 2017
    This is the best answer that I could find: "In addition to aesthetic considerations, your floor may benefit structurally if it is installed perpendicular to the direction of the flooring joists. Flooring perpendicular to joist direction is often better supported and less prone to seam flex. Floors installed on a subfloor on top of the older style 1″ diagonal flooring boards are stiff enough to install wood flooring without regard to joist direction. Always consult the installation instructions for your product for installation recommendations for more information."

You can read the entire article about installing wood floors at the link below. I did learn that the boards should be taken out of the boxes to become acclimated to the room, plus you should look at each board to decide if it's one that should be highlighted (put in a visible place) or if it should be hidden (put where a couch or bed will be on top of it or maybe in a closet.) The installation part of this article is quite a way down so keep scrolling if you're interested in reading some tips.
    Wishing you the best!

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Dec 06, 2017
    Look in to putting down the Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring, such great stuff and looks just like wood. Easy installation and easy to clean.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 07, 2017
    One of the questions I'd ask myself is "which way would the room look better when the floor is laid?" Narrow room? I'd want the wood crosswise to make it look wider.