How to care for a Holiday Cactus?

+2
For got to sign Cleo and Truman Smith cleotruman@yahoo.com thanks

• Sandra M. Willis Sandra M. Willis on Dec 14, 2017
    I have done a lot of experimenting with Christmas cactus. I have found that any change in environment will prompt them to bloom and I have gotten mine to bloom as many as 4 times a year. If you take them out in the summer and leave them in a spot with indirect sunlight and water them when needed, until the temperatures drop into the 50's at night and bring them inside, they will start to bud immediately. You can do the light thing as described above. You can move them to a cool room in your house after they have been in a heated room for a good while and they will bud. I have concluded, that any extreme change in heat/light will affect them and cause them to bloom, but change in temperature is the greatest change. Change in temperature usually goes along with a change in light. The best way to kill one is to over-water. They are easy to grow, just don't over-water them. Plant them in cactus soil, give them indirect sunlight, and DON'T over-water them.

• Marissa Morin Marissa Morin on Dec 14, 2017
    OK...I can't add anything to how to take care of them to keep them blooming. I will say one thing. They are named Christmas cactus. Please don't P.C. them by calling them Holiday Cactus. They were named Christmas Cactus because they bloom at Christmas. Period.

• Irene Hoffman Irene Hoffman on Dec 14, 2017
    What I do with all of my cactus's, I keep them inside in front of my east facing window. I water them, only from the bottom, when I water all of my plants and the bowl is dry. I do not move them or change the watering method ever. Mine bloom several times a year and produce more blooms every year. I used to kill them with following all the stand ways of taking care of them and now I am the family cactus whisperer.