Tips for planting Blooming grasses?

We are not exactly green thumb peoole but would like to plant some blooming grasses but ones that will look good year round and not just look like dead grass when not blooming. We live in west central Florida (Pasco County - near Tampa / Clearwater). I also like Australian tree ferns but have only had one that really lived any length of time. What was I doing wrong with it? Thank you!

Debbie & Mike Styers

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 06, 2017
    what is you location?

• Deb Styers Deb Styers on Dec 06, 2017
    West central Florida

• Kathyy Kathyy on Dec 07, 2017
    What about planting sub tropical perennials like New Zealand Flax and Bird of Paradise? They stay green, the flax comes in a huge variety of leaf colors and the other blooms in winter. Most ornamental grasses go dormant in winter. Here in southern California I have deergrass that stays green but it looks best if I trim it to the ground in spring so it still has an off season. Suspect any evergreen grasses that work in your area would need the same. Be careful, your area is easily invaded by non natives so please check the lists, suspect something like Pampas grass would be just as horrible an invader in Florida as it is here!

The tree fern ought to love your area. Needs good drainage but kept damp with regular water and quite a bit of shade. There's more than one kind, perhaps check out the other species?