Can a wisteria vine be grown in a large planter?

+2
  • Shoshana Shoshana on Jun 01, 2017
    Sure! When it gets big enough though. To grow wisteria in a planter, begin with a container only slightly larger than the nursery container, and then repot the wisteria gradually as the plant grows. Eventually, wisteria may require a whiskey barrel or other large planter.

• Elizabeth Dion Elizabeth Dion on Jun 01, 2017
    Wisteria can be very invasive and develops a huge root system. I don't think a pot would hold it for long

• Susan Susan on Jun 01, 2017
    As the wisteria grows you can actually train it to grow straight up into a tree form. I planted about 6 saplings very close together and entwined them into a rope like structure and anchored it with twine and stakes. after a couple of years and lots of twisting, the vines eventually grew pretty much into a 'trunk' and kept going. It is now over 6 feet tall and a huge umbrella shaped tree. We love it. I don't know how to share a photo of it here though. Sorry.

• Carrie Davis Carrie Davis on Jun 02, 2017
    Yes! I currently have a beautiful wisteria that is about 3 years old that is planted in a choice kitty litter bucket. Since we tend to get cold winters here in Utah I bring it inside and keep it in a safe cool, but not cold, place (my cats love it, to eat!). It took very little water throughout the winter and spring. Our temperatures are finally above freezing at night so the vine will be going outside until the cold comes back. Do plan on a way to move the plant and its container easily, put on a wheeled pot holder or something similar, as it will get heavier as it grows. Mine has been in the same container from the beginning. I think it is growing more slowly than normal because it is confined. In researching the wisteria plant I found that it is recommended to confine it to a large container to prevent it from taking over. My wisteria is beautiful, very healthy and has vibrant apple green leaves. Good luck!

• Inetia Inetia on Jun 02, 2017
    Wow! I never thought of planting it in a container. I love the tree idea. Kind of sounds like training a bonsai. I will have to try this. I've heard of them killing trees if not cut back.