Can anyone tell me why I cannot grow bleeding hearts in southeast GA?

+3
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 03, 2017
    Are you planting them in the shade?

• Kpye Kpye on May 03, 2017
      not full shade, shade in the a.m. and sun in the p.m.

• Hi- l love bleeding hearts, I happen to have a white one. You need shade, they don't do well in hotter climates although it can be done if they are planted say, under a tree. They also love rich soil, so if your soil is too sandy or too much clay, you would have to add some peat moss or other soil additives.

• Kpye Kpye on May 03, 2017
    Thank you that makes perfect sense, it is hot here and we have very sandy soil. I may try again keeping in mind what you have shared. Thank you for the info ")

• Lai2028314 Lai2028314 on May 03, 2017
    It might be too warm where you are trying to grow them. I've always had them in a place that does not get a lot of sun.

• Kpye Kpye on May 03, 2017
    I'm sure you're right. My Grandmother always had them in her yard and they were just beautiful. Whenever I see them I think of her. She lived in Indiana, not Georgia, so I'm sure that may be the reason I can't get them to grow.