Garden Soil-which is the best?

+3
I just purchased two 4x8 foot steel planters for gardens. What is the best soil to purchase?

• Mfbandit769 Mfbandit769 on Dec 27, 2017
    The type of soil depends on the the type of plants you are growing.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 27, 2017
    what are you planting?

• Joye R. Foster Joye R. Foster on Dec 27, 2017
    It depends on what you plant. Google the plant and get this information.

• Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Dec 27, 2017
    Potting soil for planters. Garden soil for in ground. There are many choices. I recommend organic and mix with fertilizer. Your local nursery can give you great advice.

• Mic29010083 Mic29010083 on Dec 27, 2017
    one of the gardens will be for vegetables and one will be for flowers.

• Dku31289822 Dku31289822 on Dec 27, 2017
      Each plant may have slightly different preferences on what kind of soil they like. It may be important to know the Ph of any existing soil; dependant again on the likes of plant. Adjusting the Ph can be done. If existing soil is hard and clay like and doesn't work up nicely the soil needs to be loosened, lightened up. Organic matter is good, use compost, if you compost, or check if your locality has compost available to residents (here we are allowed a set amount annually and pay after that). Garden centers may have compost, sand can loosen hard soil, composted manure: some commercially available or if you are located near a rural area some farmers will sell or give composted manure away. Adding sphagnum or peat moss helps loosen and even hold water better. Root crops need a looser soil than others. Water and sun needs vary. I agree that your garden center should be able to assist and may test your soil if you bring in samples. Having happy and healthy plants is a bit labor intensive initially but repay use with spectacular beauty and bounty. There is nothing I love more than the feel of soil in my hands and under my bare feet, sun on my face, the smell of the earth when worked and after rains!