Handle extender for garden tools?

by Gretchen
Does anyone know how to add more length to long handled garden tools? Even with the long wooden handles, I have to bend over and my back can't take it. I may have to McGyver something but I don't want that "something" to be in the way of my hands as I use the tools. I haven't seen anything commercial for this. Anyone else have a solution?
  6 answers
  • Kathie taylor Kathie taylor on Apr 17, 2014
    Go to Home Depot (Lowe's). In their plumbing department and get an extender piece for sprinkler systems. a short looking plastic piece with an opening at either end. I'm not sure if they carry wooden dowels or not, But Michael's does. drill a small hole on either end (actually two on either end and attach to your tool and add the dowel at the other, screw together with nails. Otherwise use an old broom handle, make it the length you want and duct tape the heck out of it.! Duck tape is water proof.
  • Kathie taylor Kathie taylor on Apr 17, 2014
    oops! srew with screws....duh!
  • Bonny McDaniel Bonny McDaniel on Apr 17, 2014
    I use trowels and cultivator-type tools that have adjustable handles on them. They adjust from about ten inches to a little over two feet and have been a big help to my arthritic back. I'm not sure where I purchased them...possibly Big Lots. But they are available in several brands. Would those be long enough for you?
  • Nancy Culhane Hoag Nancy Culhane Hoag on Apr 17, 2014
    How about adding a piece of that piping you get at home depo
  • Kathy C Kathy C on Apr 17, 2014
    We use pvc pipe (and if you want to make it comfy, add some foam pipe wrap) glued to the handle (make sure you get the caps too - pvc can be ouchy on the ends)
  • Gretchen Gretchen on Apr 17, 2014
    Sounds good! Do you have to screw the pvc on or glue it or have you found it to fit? Guess I'll take all my favorite (too short) tools with me to the hardware store and try on the pvc! Thanks!