Help with Hostas plants

+1
How do you keep your hostas's plants nice and green? I have heard Irish Spring cut up around the base works, is this true. I have about 20 that I adopted when I bought our trailer and they need help.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 22, 2017
    The Irish Spring soap is for bugs, and critters, not keeping them green. Hostas are drought tolerant and shouldn't be overwatered. If they are too crowded, they may struggle some and not get as large as they are supposed to be at maturity. Most hostas don't like a lot of sun, especially afternoon hot sun. I only fertilize mine once in the spring before they come up with a time release Miracle Grow. Even that may not be necessary with them, but I do anyway. I hope this helps you with your hostas for next spring. If they are too crowded, divide them come spring just as they are coming up. Have a great Holiday Season!

• Mary Coakley Mary Coakley on Dec 22, 2017
    Hosts like shade/semi shade should keep them green

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Dec 22, 2017
    extension.orgDepending on your location they will go dormant in the fall. Mulch well, and new growth will start in the spring.. For information specific to your area this link will help: https://ask.extension.org

• Amanda Amanda on Dec 22, 2017
    Hi Margaret. The Irish spring soap keeps the deer from eating them. For my hostas I tend to get a lot of slugs that eat them. You'll see holes in the hosta leaves if this happens. For that I put out bowls of beer at night, and empty them in the morning (the slugs will be in the beer). I do this for a bout a week. Hostas prefer shade but can be planted in sun or shade. I have them in both. If they are in more sun make sure they get watered regularly. When we haven't had rain for a little over a week I make sure I water them. They do like moist well drained soil, which is why they prefer shade. If your soil is very compacted I would add peat moss and compost to the soil around the hostas. When I do this in smaller flower beds I take handfuls and then put it around the hostsa and using a hand garden shovel mix it into the ground. Adding compost will always benefit your plants. You can also also use a plant food fertilizer. I use miracle grow on my plants, especially newly established ones once a week. I attached a link for you to learn all about them. I wish you luck!