What's wrong with my giant hostas (not so)?

+5
My giant hostas seem to be stunted. They are planted under clumps of birch trees. Do I need to acidify the soil?

• Mary Lamm Mary Lamm on Dec 20, 2017
    How old are the Hostas?

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 20, 2017
    Are you sure they have enough room for the roots to grow with the roots of the elm tree? I have read that they like very slightly acidic soil, so be careful to not over do it with amending your soil. I had a couple of giants myself one season, but my huge half barrel planter didn't protect them well enough for the winter weather. They did great in a mix of good potting soil, peat moss and a little top soil to fill out for running out of potting soil. I fertilized with Miracle grow as directed and they did great before winter killed them.

• Cindy Cindy on Dec 20, 2017
    Hi Judith, I am wondering if you received mislabeled plants. Have you ever actually seen them grow into giants? If so, have you ever split them?

• Nancy Riner Nancy Riner on Dec 20, 2017
    hostas need lots of sun, get them out from under those trees!!

• Pam1418628 Pam1418628 on Dec 21, 2017
    Hostas need a lot of sun? There may be a few varieties that can withstand sun, but most like just one or two hours of it. Make sure they are not having to compete with the tree roots for moisture and they like slightly acidic soil, so don't overdo it.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 21, 2017
    Hostas do not need a lot of sun.They are shade lovers.They might not be getting enough water.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 21, 2017
    Before you add any nutrients to the soil, get a soil test! Go to your county agricultural Extension Cooperative. They will help you, and can give you the things needed for a soil test. What you do for your hostas may not be the best for your birch trees.

• Judith Judith on Dec 21, 2017
    Thanks everyone. I'll try to keep them a little moister and try fertilizer for azaleas. Talk about freezing. These poor hostas grow on the 53 parallel on a lake in northern Manitoba, Canada