Last years pear tree was full. This year grad none. Any ideas?

+5
  • Dfm Dfm on Jan 04, 2018
    that's not unusual, a lot of it is growing conditions, heat/humidity and it could be the type of pear tree. apple tree will set fruit do a bumper crop, next year not so much just a few.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jan 04, 2018
    Hi Bill,
    It's interesting to know that I found out that you must have 2 trees in order for cross pollination to occur so that the trees will bear fruit. Below is a link to a Cooperative Extension unit that should help you. Wishing you the best.

• Janet Janet on Jan 04, 2018
    I wish i had an answer, just wanted to say that the same thing happened to my pear. Last year, more than i could eat. This year, just a few. I have a single pear with no others in the neighborhood to pollinate, so obviously some don't cross-pollinate.

• Wanda sinnema Wanda sinnema on Jan 05, 2018
    It may have been the weather also..Did you have blooms in spring? If the bees aren't out flying around when they are in bloom you won't have fruit. Many areas had crazy weather the past year. Pruning can also be a reason.. If pruned wrong that will do it..too

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 05, 2018
    Many pear trees fruit every other year.

• Jul30664592 Jul30664592 on Jan 05, 2018
    Some reasons could be:
    --blooms in spring were pruned, no bloom, no fruit
    --blooms were frosted or frozen
    --bees population was significantly down, which results in less pollinated bloom--less fruit
    --other pear tree needed for cross pollination is gone. Holly and some fruit trees need another tree. Though it doesnt sound like this is the case with your tree. Good luck.