When's the best time of year to be trimming down ornamental grass?

+2
when is the best time of year to be trimming down your ornamental grasses? Fall or Spring? And how short should you cut them down?
Gary & Nancy Grothe
gngrothe@gmail.com

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 08, 2018
    cutting perennials grasses can be done in the fall or the spring.Cut back about three quarters and make sure you remove any remaining dead blades

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jan 08, 2018
    You can trim them now anytime now to BEFORE when spring growth starts.
    I normally plan to have mine done by the end of February. Approximately 8-10 inches from the ground.
    You can look at your local professionally landscaped corporate grounds to get an idea of trim length and timing reminder as well.
    Having several of these dry stalks to manage I sometimes take a few weeks to get through them all.

• Sue Peet Sue Peet on Jan 08, 2018
    I don't think it matters when they are trimmed down. We trim ours every spring where as my neighbor does it every fall and we both have no problems in new growth. We usually trim them the same as the above person's answer.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Jan 09, 2018
    Cut back warm season grasses in fall or by mid to late spring. Warm season grasses turn shades of brown as the weather turns colder. Once your warm season grasses turn brown you can trim them back at almost any time.