How advisable is using garbage bags under mulch?

Can black garbage bags be used under mulch of wood chips to keep out the weeds?

• Garbage bags will never break down. Which is good for weeds but bad for the environment. I like to use weed fabric with metal stakes. It's easy to remove to add new plants and easy to use.

• Beth Hubley Beth Hubley on Aug 15, 2018

If you’re looking for an inexpensive, environmentally friendly option for a weed barrier try paper garbage bags or craft paper. Even cardboard boxes flattened make a great weed barrier. Each of these will break down over time so it’s earth friendly bit they are also very effective!

• Ted Rowland Ted Rowland on Aug 15, 2018

They make black plastic on a roll that is cheap. It is thicker than garbage bags, and will keep out your weeds. 3 mill thick is usually good, and the rolls come in a variety of sizes. One word of caution. Termites and carpenter ants LOVE mulch. I would not have it within 8 ft of my house, or you are going to have them destroy your property. This includes areas with wood decks.