What would be the best way to cover these walls?

Lynda robinson
by Lynda robinson
These walls are made of some kind of cheap paneling. If you bump them lightly or if the kids throw something they indent and the paint chips off. I am trying to figure out the best way to cover these walls. I rent so I don't want to spend a lot of money
  26 answers
  • KatAych KatAych on Feb 17, 2016
    They look like cardboard inside, i can see why you're frustrated! Depending upon the size, you can buy a piece of white paneling or similar to put over this wall. It's not expensive, and quite frankly, they probably won't notice, anyway.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 17, 2016
    Heres a post from home talk. www.hometalk.com/diy/repair/drywall/diy-fix-to-hide-damaged-walls-or-paneling-186196 and heres another site that may help you with ideas. www.lifeanytime.com/houseandhome/remodlingandrepair/8...
  • Moxie Moxie on Feb 17, 2016
    Unless they were damaged when you moved in; my guess is you will be paying to replace them when you move out anyway, so you might as well put something up you like : ) Cedar planking white washed would be great (and durable), beadbaord paneleling or even just painting over to make the damaged spot blend in better might help..
  • Jean Myles Jean Myles on Feb 17, 2016
    Check out this post it might be a solution for your problem. http://www.hometalk.com/diy/decorate/walls/faux-brick-wall-13980202 They painted it but you could leave it as is. Before you buy anything check out your local Habitat for Humanity Store also called The Re Store . They sell renovation materials at a very reasonable prices. Good look in what ever you do. This is also another choice if the damage on the wall is not too deep.http://www.hometalk.com/diy/paint/walls/half-bath-makeover-using-beadboard-wallpaper-624772 http://www.hometalk.com/diy/paint/walls/half-bath-makeover-using-beadboard-wallpaper-624772 you can buy this kind of wallpaper at Home Depot or Lowes
  • LaLa LaLa on Feb 18, 2016
    I agree with Moxie. Sand the area and paint over it. I can't see where in the house the damage is, but there's always pictures, or fabric that you can hang over it. (Thrift store purchases, of course!!!)
  • Country Design Home Country Design Home on Feb 18, 2016
    Hi Lynda! Probably the best (and cheapest) way to repair the larger holes and dings is with some inexpensive self-adhesive drywall mesh tape. http://www.homedepot.com/p/FibaTape-75-ft-Perfect-Finish-Drywall-Joint-Tape-FDW8189-U-FDW8189-U/204117843?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D22-BuildingMaterials%7c&gclid=CjwKEAiA9JW2BRDxtaq2ruDg22oSJACgtTxchcWVLM0BSclnGP-GFRpQYTFjycP1iWJiBW5-fbsuHhoCA7jw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds You just cut a piece to the proper size, place it over the holes (pressing down to make sure the edges are secured). Then you take spackle or joint compound and start to smooth it over the area- a couple of light coats rather than one thick one is better and won't result in cracking spackle. Once it is dry, just prime and paint!
  • Margi Chambers Margi Chambers on Feb 18, 2016
    Paper bag walls. I did them. They are beautiful and inexpensive
  • PJ Kelley PJ Kelley on Feb 18, 2016
    Fabric and starch. Goes up easier than wallpaper and comes down with a "pull" leaving no residue. I've done this in my son's apartment and when he moved they asked him to leave it. You can also use this method on just about any surface; i.e. table tops, etc.
  • Leslie Leslie on Feb 18, 2016
    Hi Lynda, not sure but that looks like some kind of sawdust particle board, and if that is paint It looks like someone already tried to fix. Before going out and spending any money, if you have a can of spackle apply with a putty knife as neatly and as flat as possible and before it dries take a wooded skewer and run it down the spackle to follow the lines of the textured paint. You are going to have to repaint the wall, so before you do that ask your landlord if he has an extra can of paint to cover the patched work. If you want you can show him or her what you are doing he might be able to help with ideas. A suggestion before you start is to square off the ruined area with a boxcutter so that you will have a neater area to work in. Work slowly and take your time. Another thought is, that is not paint but old textured wallpaper that has gotten brittle with paint. You should ask your landlord about it first. He may have some of the textured paper left and that would also save you money by shallow patching the hole and then cutting out a piece of the paper to fit,then paint :) Good luck!!
  • Betsy Wilson Betsy Wilson on Feb 18, 2016
    Rip out & replace with Sheetrock, or u will never b happy!
  • Mary Mary on Feb 18, 2016
    First I would show landlord the problem and maybe they will have a solution. If they won't do anything I would see what they would allow you to do. I would consider putting bead board paneling up to cover this. I don't think just patching it will make it hold up. If hat is out of your skill set or budget there are paintable textured wall papers that may help. Good luck.
  • LD LD on Feb 18, 2016
    Lynda, since this a rental property you will be liable for any damages to the property upon leaving, so the first and foremost thing you must do is ask permission to make any structural modifications to the property. Since it appears that the owner or previous tenant attempted to make shoddy repairs, you should bring this to the owners attention, and discuss your options for repairing the areas your damage vs those areas that were there before.
  • Pat Pat on Feb 18, 2016
    You could teach your children not throw anything harder than a pillow. Then talk to your landlord about the walls.
  • Tpup Tpup on Feb 18, 2016
    I would use starch to cover the wall in an attractive fabric. Easy rental idea.
  • Cheryl Gyles Cheryl Gyles on Feb 18, 2016
    Since you rent, the first thing to do is contact the landlord. I'm sure they are aware of the problem and may be willing to fix it for you. Any major repairs would need their approval anyway. If you get the go ahead to do something yourself, there is a paintable wallpaper resembling beadboard that you can use (I found mine at Lowe's). Make sure you patch the area with spackle first, let dry then sand as smooth as possible before applying the wallpaper. Then it can be painted.
  • Jessica Cossin Jessica Cossin on Feb 18, 2016
    I'd try some of that new chalk board paint, any paint store carries it, and no, its not just the same elementary school chalkboard boring black anymore, no one has to know it's chalkboard so they don't write on your apartment either (I've used this paint in many projects, it covers quite alot of blemishes)! Martha Stewart has here own line! I've seen a beautiful gray and light pink. Or paint large pieces of canvas, any color/paint type you wish and hang them up, either way is pretty cheap and easy. Also, if you are near a Home Depot, they give a free pint size trial color (I got 4 different when painting my condo!) to try it on the walls, it always looks different from the paint sample. If I can help with anything else I'd be happy, too! If you go with canvas, you could also get I unframed (cheaper), and hang it like a deco curtain rod.
  • Monica Talley Monica Talley on Feb 18, 2016
    That is melamine coated pressed board. Talk to your landlord. Paneling is very inexpensive to replace.
  • Cindy Cindy on Feb 18, 2016
    or tape the wall so it looks like brick slabs then paint a marble faux finish it will hide a lot of marks on any wall
  • Lynda robinson Lynda robinson on Feb 18, 2016
    Thanks to all that responded with a positive feed back. Time to get started🔨
  • Gma Kirk Gma Kirk on Feb 18, 2016
    I ran a cheap dowel across the ceiling and hung sheets on it like curtains ( I had some I picked up at good will and dyed them all a nice dark beigish gray using brown, black and yellow rit dye). I used cup hooks to hold it up. I thought it looked pretty cool. And it covered up really gross cheap paneling that was *supposed* to look like brick. When I moved out, I just filled the little holes with putty and you couldn't see them. 🙂
  • Lori Siska Lori Siska on Feb 19, 2016
    We live in a 110 yr old house and our entire 2nd floor is covered with this. We haven't done anything to it yet, but the developer who we bought the house from used joint compound & tape (if necessary) for drywall to smooth over the dents and holes, so it still looks ok. There are spots that can dent frequently, like the top of the stairs. Once you smooth it out, you can use paint to touch it up. Since you rent, speak to your land lord and see if you can come up with a reasonable solution.
  • Duv310660 Duv310660 on Feb 20, 2016
    Hang gathered squares of fabric - like a big curtain - up your wall and (why not?) swathed across your ceiling. You can hang it on a length of rope, then take it with you when you move.
  • Deborah clark Deborah clark on Feb 20, 2016
    you can use liquid starch to "paper" the walls with fabric (sheets, bolt goods) and when you move, they will peel off. Have also seen technique of using lathe strips (like wooden yard stick) , fabric is wrapped once around it, tacked to ceiling and draped to floor and similar attachment there. http://www.cre8tivedesignsinc.com/2013/04/how-to-wallpaper-with-fabric-using-starch/
  • Kathy Bitzan Kathy Bitzan on Feb 20, 2016
    I have to agree with using fabric or sheets are inexpensive at the good will and a great fix. Since your renting I wouldn't want to invest in a more permanent fix.
  • Rachel Z Rachel Z on Mar 25, 2016
    What you have there is beaverboard. I recently tore out a closet and my house has this everywhere. It was basically an inexpensive wall board compared to drywall in the early to mid 1900s. I'm planning on just applying some joint compound to fix the holes in mine from the closet. I would def get a hold of the landlord. See what kind of options you have.
  • KimH KimH on Mar 25, 2017

    This needs to be pulled out and redone at the landlord's expense; Beaver Board cause slung damage; especially as old as this is. Get the health dept in on this; by renting this place with no updates to it to keep it safe; the landlord is violating several health laws. It is not your fault the stuff is so old; it should have been replaced with sheetrock over 50 years ago, along with updated insulation, too.