Best Kitchen cabinet to go with red oak floor and soft yellow walls

+4
My kitchen walls are soft pale yellow from Benjamin Moore historical collection. My floors, woodwork, and current kitchen cabinets are all red oak. It’s been 20 years and need new cabinets. Love my yellow walls don’t want to change them or my oak hardwood floors. What is my option for cabinets? should I stay with oak cabinets or go to complimentary wood or go with a soft creamy ivory?

• Cindy Cindy on Dec 23, 2017
    Hi Mary, If this was my kitchen, I would keep those oak cabinets. If you don't like the current color, you can change that. The cost to replace them with same thing, would be very expensive. Another option, is just replace the doors if you have extensive damage. I think you would be surprised with what just a different paint color can do. Hope you have a happy and healthy holiday season.

• Mary Mary on Dec 23, 2017
      Hi Aljoser
      Thanks for replying. My kitchen cabinets, all woodwork and the floor all match. I loved it 20 years ago. Now I think maybe they are too much of the same and I need some contrast? my House is very small and I originally did anything I could to make it feel bigger. do you still think I should keep them matching????

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 23, 2017
    Mary, the easiest and fastest way to make any small house seem bigger is to hang mirrors- the largest that you budget can afford. This is much less work than trying to do anything with the cabinets.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 24, 2017
    I think painting the cabinets a soft ivory would actually make the kitchen look lovely!

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Dec 24, 2017
    Start by going to Homedepot or Lowe's, and look at the cabinets there. Also find a local business that makes cabinets, and go to their showroom for some ideas.

• Cindy Cindy on Dec 24, 2017
    It depends on you, Mary. Do you still love the cabinets as much as you used to? It's hard to imagine what all your woodwork looks like, but I can say one thing for sure: if you were to rip your cabinetry out, it would be very expensive to replace it with a product that is no where as nice as what you already have. Oak is known to be the "best" wood product out there. Mary, I was just thinking . . . . another choice is to keep the wood, just freshen it up . . . . and paint the walls. What do you think about that? Like I said, just thinking.