It's more of "Have you any ideas" what can I use as a Warming drawer ?

+21
My Husband sold my stove (which I loved) and the one he replaced it with has no Warming drawer (to just warm up the plates - I don't like to serve hot food on cold plates). People have suggested that I use the actual oven but that means I have to wait for the stove to cool down after cooking a Roast and also the Oven shelves are more than likely going to be a bit greasy. Any ideas ?
Regards, Gloria.

• Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Dec 07, 2017
    thats a tough one. How about put a towel in the dryer. Then wrap the plates.

• Jenny Whitby Jenny Whitby on Dec 07, 2017
    Yes fill your sink/washing up bowl with very hot water leave the plates in for a few minutes to warm through. I do this when we are having takeaways xx

• Annette Barsby Annette Barsby on Dec 07, 2017

Typical man not to consult you first. :( As I am alone I try to use least amount of power, by not wasting it. So to warm plates first before serving I add some water to the plate and then microwave on full power for 2 mins

• Gloria Gloria on Dec 07, 2017
      Thanks Annette, Yes, I wasn't exactly delighted about the change & to add to it he bought an "eye level" oven which is on the floor !!!!!

• Peggy Stanford Dodd Peggy Stanford Dodd on Dec 07, 2017
    I'm with Annette. I just pop them in the microwave for a minute.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 07, 2017
    Pop your dishes in the microwave for a few seconds. Practice the timing until you get them as warm as you like them.

• Gloria Gloria on Dec 07, 2017
    I'm delighted with the response. I had wondered whether an extra large "chafing" dish which sits on a stand with a tea light under it would do.
    Thanks all for you help.

Gawd, not sure why the eye level oven is on the floor.
    I bought a Stoves electric fan Oven, not cheap but it's been great (Im in UK by the way) I even took my bread tins along to make they fitted in, all 5 of them at once.
    It has two ovens, one small one at the top,. also a grill. I can put my plates in there if I remember to turn it on early enough. Just on low about 120 o F
    I'd have knocked his block off if my man had changed my cooker without my knowing. What a crazy thing to do. So important to have one that you get on with. Can you not return it saying it' s not what you wanted? I would have a go, if you're that unhappy.
    I hate the cookers with only one oven, you are stuck as you say, for keeping things warm.

I hope you sort this out xx

• Gloria Gloria on Dec 07, 2017
      Hi Annette, I think it's an "age/retirement" problem, he's spent so many years running his own business and now he's started on our Home !!! I won't go into all the details 'cause you'll either disolve into fits of laughter or cry your eyes out ! I've opted to see the "funny" side of it (he's also doing virtually all the cooking at the moment  - I just don't like hot food served onto cold plates !!!) I was born in the U.K. and I know how lovely it is to have a warm kitchen. Here in an almost everlasting Summer we try to keep things as cool as pos. Thanks so much for your help. Great talking to you.

• Inetia Inetia on Dec 07, 2017
    If you have a toaster oven of adequate size you could use it to warm them.

• See 1 previous
    • Gloria Gloria on Dec 07, 2017
      Thanks Inetia, That sounds like a good idea. I've seen "Toaster Ovens" advertised but thought they were for toasting toast etc. and that the heat would be too high and I'd end up with cracked plates and dishes ! I'll have a look into it, thanks so much for your help.

• Gloria Gloria on Dec 07, 2017
    I'm very interested in the answers I've received and I am inquisitive to know if there are any more ideas. So I'd really like to leave my query open for a little longer. I've really been very impressed with the way your system works, what a treat to know people want to help each other.

• Gloria Gloria on Dec 07, 2017
    I've been so impressed by all the response but I'd like to keep the question open for a little longer. I'm so interested in what people have to say. I must compliment you on your programme "Hometalk" it's so lovely to know that there a people happy to help. With all the negative news we get swamped with by the "media" I think we feel at times that everything is against us. Thanks.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 08, 2017
    ive been known to cook my dinner in the toaster oven and warm the plates on the top. It’s just me meself and I. And the 3 cats...onyx joined the family last week.

• Gloria Gloria on Dec 09, 2017
      Many thanks for the info. re the Toaster oven. Much appreciated.

• Inetia Inetia on Dec 08, 2017
    I just bought a new convection toaster oven large enough for a 12 in pizza. On convection the lowest setting is 150 degrees and and 10 min is the shortest time. It turns itself off. Though it only has one rack it has three rack positions. I plan to buy at least on more rack. So you would have that option too if you needed it. The one I got is by Homelabs, it's loaded with preset cooking functions, including rotisserie, and is PFOA and PTFE-free. It wasn't advertised as such but I contacted the company before buying it. Got it on Amazon, it was under $85 and has a two year warranty. It's just my husband and I and it's perfect to cook for two.

• Gloria Gloria on Dec 09, 2017
      Thanks so much Inetia for the extra info. re: the toaster oven.

• Gloria Gloria on Dec 09, 2017
    Yes, thank you.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 09, 2017
    when you live alone, it doesn't make sense to bake in a family sized oven..the toaster oven i have is large enough for a frozen piza, and meat loaf pans