What kind of solid surface product would you recommend for kitchen?

+3
Hello Hometalk!
We currently have the old fashioned formica now in our kitchen and its horrible! We want and need to change it out to something that is like a light cream or tannish background with brown and beige/creamy streaks and maybe a little grey in it but it has to be thick enough to look substantial like a countertop should. Any suggestions on what to use? We would like to use something that is as reasonably priced as possible:) Thanks guys!

Susan
Bradenton FL

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Dec 16, 2017
    Nothing is going to be reasonably priced, sorry to say. I have marble bathroom floors and would never, even if it was free, use marble in my kitchen. My husband drinks wine, uses mustard, and rarely wipes up spills. You'd have to be OCD to keep it pristine or you'd have to love the lived-in look. I have quartz and you don't even have to use cutting boards! Can dull your knives. Some solid surface colors look 'flat' and fake but others, because of patterns, are very pretty. I've never had these so I can't speak to the qualities of using them. Go to home centers, find what you like, then ask about that product specifically.

• William William on Dec 16, 2017
    Rust-Oleum or Giani countertop paint kits.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Dec 16, 2017
    we have granite and it is easy to clean and you only seal it once a year - just make sure you wipe up wine or tomato-based products because it stains any of the countertops including granite and quartz

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 17, 2017
    Like William suggested, you can give the formica a makeover to a more pleasant color by using a Rustoleum paint kit. They're great products!

• Bri23218795 Bri23218795 on Dec 17, 2017
    We just replaced our yucky Formica with gorgeous quartz. You don't have to seal it, it's stain resistant, and the look is amazing!