How can I cover Dark paneling in my living room and hallway?

When I purchased my house the living room was so dark and the paneling was badly damaged. I painted it white just to lighten the room and hallway but I'm ready to do more. I don't believe there is any drywall behind the paneling so whatever I chose to do will have to cover the damaged paneling. I'm not handy enough to put up drywall in this room and the hallway. What other methods are there to cover ugly paneling?
  6 answers
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 16, 2017
    You can try white washing the paneling

  • Lisa Lee Bernier Lisa Lee Bernier on May 16, 2017
    You could do a simple white wash and sponge on other colors to match your decor.

  • Lora Lora on May 16, 2017
    Maybe some of the spray on texture for dry wall might work out.

  • Johnchip Johnchip on May 16, 2017

    You already painted, and want to do more. The only options 'to do more' is to panel/drywall over the current walls, or strip it out and start from the original wall. I hate to drywall myself so I would get it done by a contractor. Price a couple and go for the lowest bid, it is hard to get simple drywall wrong.

  • Sus7887901 Sus7887901 on May 16, 2017
    I have used textured wallpaper, eg Anaglypta, or Lowes/Home Depot brand. Fill in the grooves first with drywall mud. It worked amazingly well

  • Tammy Blair Wood Tammy Blair Wood on May 16, 2017
    You ca use Kilz Primer and then Paint over it with AGood Interior Paimy.