Do I need a french drain?

+3
I have water that stands in the side of my yard. It is a lot worse when it rains a lot. However it stays wet for days and days after there is no rain. There seems to be a lot spot on the side of my house.

• Liz Liz on Dec 25, 2017
    Do you have city water or your own drainage system? Is the ground a low spot on flat land?

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 25, 2017
    The french drain needs to go somewhere. Does the area slope so the water in the drain can move out? If it's just a low spot in a flat yard, fill it in. You can also make a "dry pond".

• More information is needed. This could be an area over a leaching field or your septic tank is not draining properly into the leaching field (can happen when a heavy vehicle drives over the field and crushes the tiles that are under the surface.) In one the houses I lived in, the leaders and gutters went into a drain pipe that was underground. The drain went out to the middle of the side yard, which caused a wet spot to appear. It was only an issue during a very rainy year. I put a raised flower bed over this area and planted inpatients in this bed. This worked out well for us. Are you on a basement? Is water coming into the basement? Is this a low point in the yard? What kind of soil do you have? Is there a very rocky layer under the surface soil? When does the spot get wet and for how long does it stay wet? Is there a bad order coming from that area? Are other neighbors experiencing the same issue? Has a close neighbor put in a new drainage system recently (the past couple of years)? Has a new housing development been constructed adjacent to your house?

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 26, 2017
    It's definitely a good option for solving extra water in yard problems- this article has some excellent info for you-https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/using-a-french-drain-to-remove-standing-water-in-your-yard/

• Pau5674629 Pau5674629 on Dec 26, 2017
    Exactly where the water settles make a drain or full the hole the water needs a run off