How to reclaim a neglected yard?

+2
My front yard has been neglected for many years and is dry packed soil that weeds and thistles thrive. What simple ways to restore it to a lush green lawn?

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 08, 2017
    Hi there it sounds like it needs to be "air-ated" my family used to own a golf course and we "air-ated" the greens twice a year. It is just a case where you make hundreds of cuts and/or holes into the soil to help it breathe etc. I know you can rent "air-aters" but I wonder if you might just want to rent a tiller and turn all of the soil over like you would for a garden, then you could rake seed into it and expect a lovely yard within a year or two.

• Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Dec 08, 2017
    It's probably not the simple solution that you're looking for and you may require professional help. It will certainly require rented equipment.

If you do elect to try it yourself, I'd suggest you take a soil sample to your local extension office to be tested for whatever nutrients may be needed.

It's possible you may need to buy some good black dirt to spread over your whole lawn. You'll certainly need to break up that packed soil...meaning, aeration with a rented machine, followed by fertilizing/feeding (that soil sample will have given you the information you need), weed-killer and re-seeding/re-sodding.

Re-seeding with a blend intended for your climate is the most economical. You'll want to protect the seed from birds.
    If cost isn't the most important factor, then re-sodding will give you the quickest results.

Finally, regular, deep watering until your lawn is re-established.

• Ginny Ginny on Dec 08, 2017
    Hard work and time. Call a professional. Sounds like your yard needs aerating and seeding as well as tests to see what nutrients it does or doesn't have/need. I have lawn service on my front only now because I am retired and cannot afford the rear yard too. Ask lawn service for senior discount if you are over 55 and if they will allow you to pay so much per month.

I use NaturaLawn of America and they do the discount and payment per month. Have used them about 15 yrs. and am satisfied with their service. I think they are nationwide.

If you go with a professional, choose someone who is reliable and will work with you on what you need. Don't forget the word "no" if you feel they aren't a good co. and haggle on the price. Sometimes it pays off.